• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battle of France/Early Battle of Britain Flying helmet etc..

Roughwear

Now that the forum is up and running again I though I would post some pictures of one of the helmets in my RAF collection. The helmet is a size 4 B-Type made by Frank Bryan and has a 1939 date on the label. The tinted Luxor goggles were often worn by RAF pilots as they were considered superior to the issued Mark 111As with Perspex lenses. The D-Mask is in extremely well preserved condition and was the bargain on the century on Ebay a few weeks ago! The C-type mic is the earlier type with the brass casing and came from Mick Prodger, completing the display.

dmar836

Re: Battle of France/Early Battle of Britain Flying helmet e

Nice display Andrew. I didn't know you collected kit other than jackets.
Dave

Roughwear

Thanks Dave. I have collected other kit for years, but just not posted it on VLJ. I have increased my RAF collection recently in part because I'm involved in RAF living history groups, but also because there are few A2s around now that I need to add to the USAAF collection. I do not use this early War flying helmet for re-enactment as the kit is extremely valuable these days. I use a Sefton helmet, mask and Type 19 mic made by Tony Sach.

Rutger

As always, very nice and very informative; keep'm coming.

dmar836

Yeah, I'd like to see your living history setup as well as some of your other collection. If you are as selective with these items as with your jackets, the presentation should be quite nice.
Dave

Roughwear

The price of early War kit has gone through the roof recently. You can't get a decent D-mask these days for under £1200. A B-Type helmet, D-Type mask and late 1940 Type 21 mic sold on a dealer site last week for £3200! I was able to source all the kit in my post for under £1k.

Steve27752

Very nice Andrew. The leather looks like new.

Roughwear

dmar836 said:
Yeah, I'd like to see your living history setup as well as some of your other collection. If you are as selective with these items as with your jackets, the presentation should be quite nice.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Here are a few pics from Biggin Hill and Duxford taken earlier this year.

foster

Exceptionally rare kit, thank you for sharing the photos! If I ever happen to see these at an antique show, I know what to look for better now!

CBI

it all looks GREAT!!!