• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bargain.... Not !!

RumRunner

Question -- why wouldn't someone approach a museum with something like that, instead of ebay? I presume a museum would be willing to pay for something like that.

Shropshire-lad

Maybe not … museums are on tight budgets and always looking for people to donate items.
And - maybe apocryphaly - but I had heard of a certain museum accepting artefacts for”display” which are then “misplaced“ and, by the inference, into a private collection/wardrobe. A bit like unscrupulous charity shop staff cherry picking the good stuff…. “Oooh - that’s a bit good - I’ll ‘donate’ and have that me-self”. I’m in no way casting aspersions on ALL MUSEUMS or charity shops but I had heard of the odd occasion - and hopefully uncovered and sacked!

taiAtari

I think this wouldn't necessarily be especially interesting for a museum. Generally history museums prefer objects with (personal) stories attached and signs of usage that correspond with this history. Not that a pristine object as an example of the output of a manufacturer wouldn't be interesting, but more as an aspect of production or design, not its use. Most museums would prefer an example that has a reliable (usage) history attached. Also, as said, there's generally not a lot of money available to buy items, museums mostly have to approach sponsors to acquire expensive heritage items.