• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Band of Brothers jump suit jacket...NOT original

havocpaul

This is one of SM Wholesale's excellent M-42 jackets supplied to BOB, superb but in no way originals despite what the seller is (repeatedly) saying in the listing....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

I contacted him and told him SM are repro makers who supplied BOB, but his reply confirms his misled belief in it being an original....an original reinforced M-42 would sell for thousands of course but the listing if unaltered is incorrect and misleading....his reply....

"Following up from your e-mail, I have dug out the pre-production documents I have from the BOB Wardrobe Department. It refers to '...sourced World War 2 original M42 jump suits', '...hired character costumes' from Angels Costumiers, and '... reproduction N42/M43 jump suits to be manufactured by Sigma (UK) Ltd, using U,S, D.O.D. specifications and patterns from the period'. There is absolutley no mention of SM Wholesale within any of the wardrobe documentation, which also includes the contact of manufacture and quantities.

To be honest, I've never heard of them until now, and I spent over a year on BOB. So whether false claims are being made by this company - it's highly likely, as I am aware of a number of companies who have made similar claims (or at least suggested that they may have been the sole supplier of gear to BOB).

Considering that I have quite a stack of paperwork to back up the information within the item description (as well as my own personal involvement on BOB), I can reject the information you have provided with confidence.

Please do not think that your e-mail has offended me in any way, I can assure you that it hasn't. I am of the belief that as a buyer on eBay, as many questions should be asked in order to gather as much information as possible - and it is something that I would encourage. I am grateful that you have provided me with this information, and I wish you the very best of luck with the auction."

What do others think?

Peter Graham

The seller knows damm well that it's a repro. I don't think that anyone in the market for an original jump jacket will be taken in by this.

havocpaul

After several replies where he held his ground I received this from him.....

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me. Well, I've made a number of calls, and received some interesting e-mails,and it turns out that you are 100% right. I've just received a scanned document with the order number for those produced by SM Wholesale.

As I said, I have e-mailed other bidders with this information, as I am in no way in the business of misleading anyone. So I owe you a very big thank you, as I may well have trodden a path which would have proven particularly stoney.

I do have an M43 in the same size soon to be listed.

Incidentally, I am currently working on a World War 2 movie (still in its very ealy stages) which is set during the North Africa campaign. A very low bugdet affair, and nowhere near the same scale as BOB. There is also another D-Day movie coming up, on which I am due to contribute toward (82nd Airborne this time).

Anyway Paul - thanks again, I do appreciate you contacting me. You've saved me from a bit of a disaster.

All the very best"
Let's hope he alters the listing.