• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 Sheepskin/Shearling Jacket Reinforcements

I did some searching but couldn't find much on this topic. As I have been looking at the sheepskin jacket world B-3, B-6, etc, I am curious about the idea of the concept of horsehide or goatskin reinforcements. Some jackets look to just be made of sheepskin but may have reinforced leather on the seams. I assume this is due to the sheepskin being thin and the reinforcement prevents the seam from ripping. But there are also a number of jackets that have other areas covered by typically horsehide. Areas on shoulders arms, etc. My question is due these reinforcements actually help wear, or are they mostly for cosmetic reasons? Where does a shearling jacket typically wear out the quickest and do the reinforcements significantly increase the durability of the jacket. I am just not sure how much importance to place on this additional leather.

Thanks again.
B3.jpg

warguy

I am sure others more knowledgeable will weight in. But in the simplest terms, the early B-3 jacket was made without the reinforcements. Many of these are also often termed “redskins” due to the distinctive red colored shearling. If I recall correctly, around 1942 or so, the contractors started adding the reinforcements you refer to. Typically the reinforcements were made in horsehide, many times (but not always) these reinforcements were dyed a lighter shade reflecting the two toned look you posted above. In 1943, the Government began a program to start to make the jackets more consistent in appearance. During this time, many earlier jackets came back to depots and were re-dyed so that the dark chocolate color was seen overall, eliminating the two tone look and redskin color seen on the earlier models. New jackets were made still with the reinforcements, but again the whole jacket was dyed dark. Sometime after this, the Army stopped letting contracts for B-3’s. In answer to your question, yes, it would seem apparent these reinforcement were placed in areas where wear would occur in actual use. Just a very general overview that I hope might help.

Definitely wear points on the sleeves -- no "cosmetics" in military outfitting. ;)
Yea that makes sense. I guess a better way of putting it would be in the long term do these reinforcements prove to be effective? Is there still evidence to show that they worked or at this point is it more of a cosmetic thing?

I am sure others more knowledgeable will weight in. But in the simplest terms, the early B-3 jacket was made without the reinforcements. Many of these are also often termed “redskins” due to the distinctive red colored shearling. If I recall correctly, around 1942 or so, the contractors started adding the reinforcements you refer to. Typically the reinforcements were made in horsehide, many times (but not always) these reinforcements were dyed a lighter shade reflecting the two toned look you posted above. In 1943, the Government began a program to start to make the jackets more consistent in appearance. During this time, many earlier jackets came back to depots and were re-dyed so that the dark chocolate color was seen overall, eliminating the two tone look and redskin color seen on the earlier models. New jackets were made still with the reinforcements, but again the whole jacket was dyed dark. Sometime after this, the Army stopped letting contracts for B-3’s. In answer to your question, yes, it would seem apparent these reinforcement were placed in areas where wear would occur in actual use. Just a very general overview that I hope might help.
That’s really good context. Thanks.

Chandler

Is there still evidence to show that they worked or at this point is it more of a cosmetic thing?
As has been pointed out, the sleeve reinforcements were definitely added to protect the sheepskin, and yes -- horse, goat, and steer hold up against rubbing, scuffing, and scratching against the inside of a metal tube with support ribs every few feet.

The reinforcements are only aesthetically cosmetic to vintage geeks like us. ;)

Last edited:

Chandler

Only in bits. B29 is a bit bigger but I have only seen one in "stripped down" form on the inside. They did carry Uffa Fox designed sailing lifeboats under some coastal command aircraft.
(Sorry, my post was based on a line from Kelly's Heroes that always cracks me up -- Captain Maitland was serious, I wasn't, I've crawled through a B-17 too. ;))

Smithy

If you look at any original flying jackets (RAF or USAAF) which have been used on bomber ops, they have scuffs and markings especially on the elbows, outer sleeves and shoulder ends from moving inside the airframe and contact with it. Jackets used on fighter ops almost always have quite distinctive marks/wear and even creasing on the tops of the shoulders and front of the shoulder/clavicle area from the seat harness (pilots on fighters had the harness tightened to a point of almost discomfort).

At the aviation museum I worked at, after a little bit, you could often tell if a jacket had been worn operationally on fighters or bombers due to the wear pattern in certain areas.

flyincowboy

Sheepskin as tendancy to expand and get soft while wearing. The reinforcement panels on the arms were to protect the sleeves from cuts? scuffs , rips and abrasion . The reinforcement seams were to protect the sitching to get loose. On my originalB3 the sleeves reinforcement panels look like they been made with cowhide.