• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B15D, what do you guys think of this jacket

Peter Graham

You did well Tom. That's a bargain. A lot of the stains should dry clean out and the knits look to be in great condition. It should fit about a size up. I have a size 36 modified Rolen and it fits perfectly. A really warm and nicely made and cut jacket too. As for the date, I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact date but I think about 53/54 ish.

bazelot

Thanks Peter, I didn't have a nylon jacket so it will be a first. I hope it will dry clean well. Any chance the collar can get damaged by dry cleaning it?
Does anyone know the year of manufacture?

watchmanjimg

Not a bad deal at all, even given the generally lower nylon prices these days. I'm not a huge fan of dry cleaning for these jackets but in this case you may not have a choice. Either way it should stand tall with a bit of TLC.

Peter Graham

Tom, I've just checked the Japanese book "Suit Up" and according to it the B-15D was produced for just one year, 1954.

Sid-Vintage

Be careful dry cleaning. Years back I once took identical jacket to cleaners. Came back with collar shrunk down to about half it's original size. Basically wrecked the jacket!

bazelot

i got the jacket back from dry cleaning. It is super clean now and the collar did not get damaged but the label is now ripped in half. I don't really understand how that could have happened but the owner of the dry cleaning place swears high and low that i brought it like that...

watchmanjimg

bazelot said:
i got the jacket back from dry cleaning. It is super clean now and the collar did not get damaged but the label is now ripped in half. I don't really understand how that could have happened but the owner of the dry cleaning place swears high and low that i brought it like that...

Hence my concern regarding dry cleaning. The process can really beat the hell out of certain fibers, and of course the proprietors will disavow any responsibility. However, it sounds like the jacket came out well overall. Do you notice any difference in the zipper tape? I've seen them weakened by dry cleaning in some cases.

bazelot

it looks like the zipper is ok but you never know. I would not dry clean a nylon jacket anymore. I kind of fixed the label and the jacket does look better and smell new now but i don't know if it was worth it.... I will post pictures.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Tom, I've just checked the Japanese book "Suit Up" and according to it the B-15D was produced for just one year, 1954.

Peter, I appreciate your posting this bit of information. If accurate, it puts to rest the notion that the sage B-15D was worn at any time during the Korean Conflict.

Tom, how about those pics? ;)

bazelot

Peter Graham said:

Thank you Peter. I will be posting pics today hopefully

bazelot

Yes it is in pretty good shape actually. Too bad about the zipper and it is a shade too small for me :(

Stony

Just for possible future use of dry cleaners. Take pictures of the jacket before you give it to them, and if there's any damage after you get it back, show them the pictures. You might even want to tell them about and/or show them the pictures before you give them the jacket.