B10 jackets in the USAAF .

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Bombing IP, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

I have just scanned though my books and it has come to my attention that B10 jackets in theater are usually devoid of patches unit insignia etc etc .That not to say that there were not fine exceptions . I wonder was this because the jacket could remain washable , and also because the alpacha lining made it impossible to have patches sewn on with a sewing machine .So were are left with iron on decals and hand sewing . Does anyone have any pictures of jackets with decorations etc would love to see them .

BIP

2. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

IMG_2171.JPG

Saw this one on the 'net.

AF

3. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

I'm a million miles away from being terribly knowledgeable about the USAAF but your question intrigued me Jeff. I had a shufti in my copy of Chris Bucholtz's book, "4th Fighter Group: Debden Eagles" and although there's quite a few pics of B-10s not one is patched. At least in relation to the 4FG, patching appears to have been at the very least, an exception rather than a rule.

4. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

These are of my buddy, Wayne(RIP) of the 447th and a few of his squadron mates.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave

Smithy likes this.
  5. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

Great pics Dave, thanks for sharing them. Like the patch too, is it a very peed off donkey? ;)

6. dmar836

Yes. Some have no lightning bolts, some two, and some four. Great patch for sure.

7. Grant

Grant Active Member

Not the best image quality, but here's another patched B-10.

[​IMG]

Cocker and Smithy like this.
  8. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Thanks Grant never seen this one ,I suspect but may be wrong the patches are painted on and the name tag is indeed stiched . The jacket has been washed and the leather on the name tag has shrunk causing puckering around it .Bloody nice jacket nether the less thanks .

BIP

9. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Yes the Jackets with the donkeys both have different amount of lightning bolts also the patches are on different sides of the chest . One jacket has a San Michelle bell on the zipper pull . The name F W Heckankamp? is written to perfection must of had someone who could do calligraphy well . But with paint not ink as this would of bled and you would of lost the sharpness of the script .

BIP

10. Atticus

11. Atticus

12. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

The airborne boys certainly seem to have been keen to have their relevant shoulder badges on their B-10s. Was this a unit pride thing or a regulation issue - did airborne shoulder flashes have to be displayed on all outerwear clothing according to some regulation?
    [​IMG]

13. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

Looks like the epaulettes have been removed from the officer's B-10 in the last pic. I have put a Sean Collins 82nd patch on a B-10 in my collection. Looks mint.

14. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

Post a pic Couchy!

Didn't some B-10s come without epaulettes? I have an idea Paddy had one back in the day over on TFL.

15. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

I only have a pic of the 82nd patch I bought with a 101st patch when I caught up with Sean in 2013 in Las Vegas. The jacket is a Godars one off eBay. Got it for a discount price... Similar to the ATF ones.. but with the shitty AAF decal.. hence the patch.

20150830_202048.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Smithy likes this.
  16. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

That's a smart looking patch Couchy!

ausreenactor likes this.
  17. dmar836

BIP, Heckankamp was a sqn mate. Wayne is the pilot with the B-10 in the first pic(Wayne Thomason). In the second pic Wayne hasn't yet applied his patch.
    Dave