• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 shoulder tab replacement question

Peter Graham

At the minute I'm recovering from a broken ankle, the upside being that I'm getting round to all sorts of little projects that I've been putting off for ever ! One of these is replacing the leather rank tabs on my HLB B-3 which had been cut off sometime during it's history. I have some WW2 seal horsehide perfect for the job but I want to get it right. Could someone who owns an original B-3 please measure and tell me if the protruding tab is square or a slight rectangle ? I measured the stub remaining and it's 5cm across. I know the shape and size of the tabs may well vary between contracts but at least I know that one side is 5cm. Also, I assume that when the tab is folded up over the shoulder it's rough side down, yes ? Thanks in advance guys.

Otter

If it is any help on my 3 YO Eastman "house" B3 the length along the seam is 53mm and the tab sticks up above the edge of the seam tape by 45mm, so very slightly rectangular.

Peter Graham

Otter, thanks for taking the time to reply. Replaced the tabs tonight and the job's a good one. Once upon a time on this forum a lot of folk would have helped out with practical advice. Seems now that most people are more interested in the colour of knits on their Eastwear Kelso supergrain A-2's. Maybe the forum should be re-named Repro Leather Jackets ?

dmar836

Peter,
On my original RW the tabs are approx 2 3/16" wide and protrude about 2 1/16". They appear to start as square so that they appear shorter once sewn under the HH strip - and only under the first stitch line. At my age, always taking shrinkage into consideration, my guess is that they are nominally 2 1/4" square to start with.
I can take pics if needed.
Dave

Peter Graham

Many thanks Dave. I guess they varied between contracts and makers. The tabs on my HLB must have been about 2" square.

Phantomfixer

Peter,

sorry didnt see this thread till tonight..I have a HLB B-3..all russet HH and shearling..the tabs on mine are 2 inches wide and 1.75 high..The jacket is trimmed in russet HH but the tabs are seal goat....assuming they used all the leather scraps available...

Peter Graham

Cheers buddy. I got the tabs made and fitted. Sounds like I got the size right. The arm facings and pocket on my HLB are goat and the seam tapes are horse. I used some scrap WW2 era seal horse for the tabs and it worked out fine.