• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 Mae West

dmar836

I mentioned elsewhere that I initially questioned this piece.

The pristine condition had me wondering if it was a made piece for a movie or something(thinking SPR or BoB). I searched and found this:
http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/b3-mae-west-life-vest They claim they made some for "Unbroken". There are other repros like WPG but this is by far the closest match. SMW is the closest replica IMO but with a different font and bold stamping and some reinforcements left out. The similar and unique inspection stamp was copied from somewhere but does differ. That, the differences in reinforcement, and stamping differences say it isn't SMW. One might find many variances on wartime items but small run repros don't tend to improve or evolve like wartime contracts. Returned for detail improvement though, sure.

After finally looking at it a bit, I'm much more confident. Some positives are the broken bladder that is crunchy and broken throughout and on one side pooled in the bottom. I hate comparing to known replicas but these reinforcements are not like those on the SMW, WPG, or SOF vests. The rubberized cotton reinforcement and strap holding the CO2 are on none of the repros. I also notice the patina of the grommets and valves. The Schrader valves are marked "USA Schrader" as my other original B-4s and AN-6519s. The locking jamb nuts are never on the repros but on the real ones I own or have seen. The small clips are consistent with the B-3 and B-5 I have. B-3s were to me modified with a strap from neck to waist strap in '44. This doesn't have that but neither has any other B-3 I've seen.

The only pics I find that have matching reinforcements and fittings are of originals and those I find of replicas are not near enough like these or the originals in pics. My feeling is that either someone out there made this perfect repro or someone used an original's fittings and made this. Unlikely but maybe I am just trying to convince myself.

Unissued or repro. You like or no?

Dave

littlebuddy

dmar836 said:
I mentioned elsewhere that I initially questioned this piece.

The pristine condition had me wondering if it was a made piece for a movie or something(thinking SPR or BoB). I searched and found this:
http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/b3-mae-west-life-vest They claim they made some for "Unbroken". There are other repros like WPG but this is by far the closest match. SMW is the closest replica IMO but with a different font and bold stamping and some reinforcements left out. The similar and unique inspection stamp was copied from somewhere but does differ. That, the differences in reinforcement, and stamping differences say it isn't SMW. One might find many variances on wartime items but small run repros don't tend to improve or evolve like wartime contracts. Returned for detail improvement though, sure.

After finally looking at it a bit, I'm much more confident. Some positives are the broken bladder that is crunchy and broken throughout and on one side pooled in the bottom. I hate comparing to known replicas but these reinforcements are not like those on the SMW, WPG, or SOF vests. The rubberized cotton reinforcement and strap holding the CO2 are on none of the repros. I also notice the patina of the grommets and valves. The Schrader valves are marked "USA Schrader" as my other original B-4s and AN-6519s. The locking jamb nuts are never on the repros but on the real ones I own or have seen. The small clips are consistent with the B-3 and B-5 I have. B-3s were to me modified with a strap from neck to waist strap in '44. This doesn't have that but neither has any other B-3 I've seen.

The only pics I find that have matching reinforcements and fittings are of originals and those I find of replicas are not near enough like these or the originals in pics. My feeling is that either someone out there made this perfect repro or someone used an original's fittings and made this. Unlikely but maybe I am just trying to convince myself.

Unissued or repro. You like or no?

Dave

Dave , send it over here so i can take a good look at it buddy !!! :D

dmar836

Lol. I think this might have been a situation where others passed it over as it looked too good to be true.
Dave

foster

There is someone in Europe, France I think, that is making replicas. However, theirs are lacking in the valves as that aspect isn't done very well, according to a friend who bought one. This one you show I think looks original.

Phantomfixer

I had a AC B-3...same thing with the bladder...nothing but dust on the bottom, ......looks like you scored an original...very nice

Any other WWII manufacturers of the B-3 other than Air Cruisers???

The WPG B-3 repops pattern was more in line with the B4...the neck area was enlarged and more circular, where the original B-3 tends to be more streamlined, with a mild flare for the neck...have not examined any of the other repops...If I could source the correct material, I think I would try to make one.....