• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15D Modified???

Phantomfixer

Picked this up today, along with his K-2B and B-5 Mae West...B-5 is marked 1607th ATW...these guys were stationed at Dover AFB back in the 60's.
So to me, it looks like a B-15D mod. Anyone know who might have made it? When in the 50's? White tag is washed out..I wear a 46 ELC A-2 RW, and can put this on and zip it So I am thinking it is a 42 (roomy) or a 44...
Collar is ratty and cuffs have a few issues, but a nice find.....

Peter Graham

watchmanjimg said:
Nice score! Looks like a Rolen Sportswear B-15D Modified.

That's what it is. Exactly like the one you grabbed for me a few years back. Replace those knits and enjoy it. They're a great jacket.

Phantomfixer

Thanks for the help guys....this one will not go on the auction block....the missing link as it were, will be added to my collection of other USAF nylon...

Phantomfixer

I have an old NOS MA-1 collar that would fit the bill perfectly....would defintely spruce it up a tad...cool that has never been on the collectors market...the stories it could tell...."there I was" kinda stuff

Phantomfixer

I did enjoy! thanks for the link. To get three at one time...very cool

So the B-15D Mod started out as a B-15D then modified by the manufacturer? or a depot? This was in 1953ish time period. And I must assume for a short run until the MA-1 came up to speed?

watchmanjimg

Phantomfixer said:
So the B-15D Mod started out as a B-15D then modified by the manufacturer? or a depot? This was in 1953ish time period. And I must assume for a short run until the MA-1 came up to speed?

That's basically it, and the Technical Order calling for the collar swap was applicable to the entire range of B-15s then in service. Once modified, quite a few of the earlier OD and blue jackets were worn alongside the sage B-15D Mods and MA-1s.

Phantomfixer

Sweet... I would like to come across an earlier B-15 post Mod...I did not know the mods were for any B-15 still in service...good to know.....

Dover DE is an Air Force town...never know what is going to surface at yard sales and flea markets....MA-1s are readily available haven't seen too many L-2Bs though....but still the hunt is fun...

Thanks for the info

watchmanjimg

Phantomfixer

I like the B-15A mod, I like em all, but the A mod takes it all the way back...never been a fan of the fur collar, warm yes, but not for casual wear...
anyway thanks for the pics

JZ