• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-1 / B-2 / B-3 Jacket Succession Question

Falcon_52

I have a question that I have been pondering about for some time; I thought some of my fellow forum members could help me answer it. I know that the B-2 jacket was only manufactured from 1931 - 1934 when it was succeeded by the B-3, which then went on for another 10 years or so until the AN-J-4 came along. What about the B-1, though? How many years was it produced before the B-2 spec.?

From some research on the Fedora Lounge, there were 2 contracts in total for the B-1: both awarded to Switlik Parachute. This data was actually summarized from the "Full Gear" book over on the "Lounge." Would this imply that the B-1 was only made for a couple of years, say from 1929 - 1931?

I'm just fishing for further information from those who have more information/sources.

Thanks,

Noel

John Lever

Photos from The Few courtesy of Bevan.
P1010527.jpg

Falcon_52

I ended up writing an e-mail to Switlik to which they replied no, we don't have any information about the B-1 jacket and no, we don't have an example in our museum.

I guess I'll have to keep working on my time machine! :D

zoomer

Someone over at Hat Bar wrote to Switlik. They replied that they hadn't made B-1s "since WW2."

Out there in the real America, folks, this era is un-history. Nobody knows, nobody cares, it never even f*¢!!ing happened.

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
Apparently there was an intermediate B3 type with zipped sleeves.

That would be an interesting jacket. I've always wondered why the zippered sleeves disappeared with the B-3 spec. Maybe it was just down to cost - zippered sleeves are probably a lot more labor-intensive to produce than a simple sleeve.

Noel

Members online

Latest posts