• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVIREX G-1s or not?

vzlion

I keep seeing Avirex G-1s on eBay that apparently were issued to Navy personnel, although I have found no contracts listed for Avirex. I saw one item where the seller said it was issued to him in flight training. There'e one listed now that supposedly belonged to a LT. CDR. At some time did the Navy run out of contract jackets and buy a bunch from Avirex? Or were they sold in the PX? I could see a pilot buying one if he had lost his or given it to his girl friend. As I remember it wasn't easy to get a replacement out of supply.

A historic note for anyone who is intersted, when a pilot washed out he had to turn in his flight gear including his flight jacket. Flight jackets were pretty rigidely controlled in the mid-60s. The really horrible part was that they were destroyed, never re-issued. If a pilot was killed during training his flight jacket went to his next of kin.

Walt