• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avirex A -2 flight jacket

Papillon

Afternoon,

New member, first thread.

I have a Avirex A-2 black leather jacket in excellent condition. It is XL. I am contemplating selling. Is there a market? The jacket is circa 1995. Very rarely worn.

Juanito

Afternoon,

New member, first thread.

I have a Avirex A-2 black leather jacket in excellent condition. It is XL. I am contemplating selling. Is there a market? The jacket is circa 1995. Very rarely worn.
Depends on what it is. Is it the MacArthur horsehide A-2 or one of the myriad of generic fashionista A-2s? Given that it is black and an XL instead.of a numbers size, I would guess it is the latter and not worth anything.

Papillon

Fair enough Juanito. Attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20220128_165947.jpg
    20220128_165947.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 193
  • 20220128_165917.jpg
    20220128_165917.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • 20220128_165906.jpg
    20220128_165906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167

Juanito

I bought my son a Horsehide Avirex from the 70's - NOS. IT was a really really nice jacket! Sadly, he outgrew it and sold it but it was an excellent jacket from the time!
I have always been a fan of the Avirex Horsehide A-2. It was my first "real" A-2, about 1983. Of course it is far outclassed today, but it is still a solid jacket.

Chandler

Fair enough Juanito. Attached a couple of pics.
Is that really black, or just very dark brown?

FWIW -- your Avirex is one of the less authentic versions they made. The lining is a giveaway. But I imagine it's a well made jacket.

MikeyB-17

There was a time when they produced a decent A-2-I’ve got one myself-fantastic horsehide. That, unfortunately, dates from after that time, when they were producing fantasy items which bear very little resemblance to military jackets. No shortage of them on EBay that you can compare prices with.

Chandler

1990 Avirex "MacArthur" A-2 -- though I can't recall if they had started using that descriptor at the time I bought this. They certainly spewed a lot of marketing pap about horsehide and warning that it wasn't going to be the perfect skin for a jacket -- just like it was in the '30s.

And definitely not black.
9wvvHda.jpg

BzpdFUQ.jpg