• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aviators Clothing Co. G-1

chamboid

How much harder is it to make a G-1 Dave? Compared to the other jackets you've done? Some of of the motor jackets look pretty complicated, but have less seam construction I would imagine.

How hard is it to construct a bi-swing back?

dmar836

I's love to see your effort! Probably the most practical of designs.
A buddy asked about one as his Grandfather was a Corsair pilot. Of course he has a way oversized repro and just doesn't get it. I explained and would love to try one to show him the proper fit.
Keep us posted!
Dave

CBI

looks super - John says they take significantly more time than an A-2.

DiamondDave

chamboid said:
How much harder is it to make a G-1 Dave? Compared to the other jackets you've done? Some of of the motor jackets look pretty complicated, but have less seam construction I would imagine.

How hard is it to construct a bi-swing back?

Yes the J-21-24 jackets have similar problems for construction, but the Navy jackets take it to another level. The construction must be very precise. There are many extra steps, not least of which is the underarm gusset (a patterning nightmare) though the action back is fairly easy. Then one faces the additional fabric lining of the collar, not to mention fur, plus top stitching is unforgiving throughout, especially without a dedicated double needle machine, that is designed to turn corners! All that said it is daunting to say the least, and we haven't gotten into proper pistol pocket construction, elastic attachments of the action and pocket, much less the buttonholes which is another dedicated machine that at best is costly, at worst "first born child" pricing!

So, I shall leave those to JCs good offices, for the foreseeable future! But, never say never!

DD