• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR launches B-3 Sheepskin Flight Jacket - wow

John Lever

That looks amazing, @mortene . And the leather finish and color too!

@John Lever if I look at original photos I agree, but based on my experience with my repro Irvin, the waistband fleece keeps losing its fluffiness with wear, and maybe in those original photos they are already well worn?

Look at the variation in the waist band and wrist fluff:

u_56430d31-8718-41bb-b32e-02ef4e81fb0a.jpg
I think you are looking at the size of the return or fold not fleece length. The two are quite different. For example you could have a 50 mm fold but a fleece length of 6 mm.

Chandler

One detail evident in the image above is the fleece length on the winflap. It looks too long and fluffy. I think it should be shorter than that of the body, say 10 mm(?)
Possibly the same goes for the waistband fleece, too fluffy.
The angle cut of the pocket seems more extreme than originals, but I haven't researched all contracts.

xontros85

I used to “skip” all those sheepskin flight jackets..lately, as my “noob-ines getting way”, I have stocked with those iconic beauties
Especially with the D-1 (the one from AVi looks beautiful and the price is perfect)
I wonder if those jackets are suitable for a Greek island winter ..
the average winter temperature here is about 10-15C ..rarely is under 10c but only for few days ..the only problem is the moisture that can drill your bones
Another thing is that I’m 1.90cm and about 87kg..use to like them on skinny guys and I believe that I would look as a bear or caveman :)
Ps excuse my English.. I’m sure that my Greeks are better :)

Greg Gale

I used to “skip” all those sheepskin flight jackets..lately, as my “noob-ines getting way”, I have stocked with those iconic beauties
Especially with the D-1 (the one from AVi looks beautiful and the price is perfect)
the average winter temperature here is about 10-15C ..rarely is under 10c but only for few days ..the only problem is the moisture that can drill your bones
Another thing is that I’m 1.90cm and about 87kg..use to like them on skinny guys and I believe that I would look as a bear or caveman :)
Ps excuse my English.. I’m sure that my Greeks are better :)

I doubt you'd get a chance to wear a sheepskin jacket. MAYBE you could get away with a B-10 over a T-shirt, but those temperatures are perfect A-2 weather.

Harris_HTM

Geia sou!
My strong advice is to avoid any sheepskin. I've spent 6 months in Rodos with the Corps of Engineers (and another 26 years in Greece) and I can assure you that even a thinner sheepskin jacket (D1 or B6) will be used once every two years.
I had to sell my Aero B-3 as it was too much even for the Dutch winters.

OperationCoffee

Geia sou!
My strong advice is to avoid any sheepskin. I've spent 6 months in Rodos with the Corps of Engineers (and another 26 years in Greece) and I can assure you that even a thinner sheepskin jacket (D1 or B6) will be used once every two years.
I had to sell my Aero B-3 as it was too much even for the Dutch winters.
How cold are Dutch winters then ?

OperationCoffee

I
It depends on which province you live, but the past 10-15 years here in the west you get only 2 or 3 days per year with subfreezing temperatures (around -5 Celsius). And usually a couple of weeks with temperatures around 5 Celsius.
Pretty much the same in my state in the US. Have never had to wear anything but a t shirt under my fleece of any type. If there’s a strong wind I might wear some insulated trousers

Chandler

Pretty much the same in my state in the US. Have never had to wear anything but a t shirt under my fleece of any type. If there’s a strong wind I might wear some insulated trousers
How much time do you spend outside?

I used to hike a lot up here in N. Illinois, but not so much anymore in the winter. But even my Cockpit B-3 was just too much, except for the very cold days -- when I opted to stay inside anyway. ;)

OperationCoffee

Hiking here in a shearling would be like wearing it to the gym. I spend maybe an hour a night in an Irvin , basically as a smoking jacket in the winter. I can’t even say I’ve ever worn it beyond my own property. Sad but true. I get more wear out of an MA 1. Those I do wear when going out. Fleece is just completely impractical here.

Of course that doesn’t stop me from accumulating fleece jackets….

Last edited:

Smithy

Hiking here in a shearling would be like wearing it to the gym. I spend maybe an hour a night in an Irvin , basically as a smoking jacket in the winter. I can’t even say I’ve ever worn it beyond my own property. Sad but true. I get more wear out of an MA 1. Those I do wear when going out. Fleece is just completely impractical here.

Haha! That reminds me of Melbourne. I could only ever wear my Irvin in the garden on the coldest of winter evenings.

Bit different here. I can wear it for months on end, all day, every day. We're in minus degrees (Celsius) pretty much non-stop. Joys of living inside the Arctic Circle!