• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Ken at Aero Leather

Bretafett............when I said "not that AVI are even in The Conference League when compared with some of the (non Leather Jacket) Premier Leaguers..."
I was clearly talking about smokescreens and mirrors not products.

The "Premier Leaguers" I refer to are the likes of Philip Green, Richard Caring, Jeff Bezos.....The World's Riches man, yet ordinary low paid British workers are seeing their taxes being used to supplement the wages of Amazon staff on zero hour contracts and minimum wages by way of tax credits while Amazon are paying tax at a rate well under 1% of their real earnings. Now THAT is premier league scumbagging.

Look forward to seeing where AVI jackets are being made, I wonder if Paddy Power have opened a book on the outcome?

Brettafett

My misunderstanding then Ken. I'm sure we understand by now that they are manufactured in Pakistan. Didn't someone get that response... Perhaps I'm remembering wrong.
Anyway... moving on.

Yes, there are a few A-1 repros out there... But I've always just been more attracted to the A-2... I guess I have wondered if the knit collar is scratchy... I also guess that depends on the knit used. Headwind's jackets do look good. I just received confirmation that my M422a is done and will ship soon. Another review soon?

Dr H

I guess I have wondered if the knit collar is scratchy... I also guess that depends on the knit used.

It shouldn’t be an irritant Brett (unless it’s a rough wool and worn upright). As a long time wearer of the A-1 and having worn a large number of repros from different manufacturers (GW, ELC, BK) the key is how well/flat the collar lays when unfastened. Most manufacturers don’t get this right from a comparison of period photos and modern images.

If the collar profile is correct (with a higher back) and the knit tension is correct then it should sit properly. John gets this right and did so quite early in production. I’ve had several ELC which were too low at the back and wouldn’t fold properly.

My ELC .50 cal is so good is so many respects that I took the risk of replacing the collar myself with a deeper knit rather than sell it on, so this one is just about right in this regard.

The BK A-1 prototype that had I helped to develop (early variant with single button collar, buttons to the waistband, etc.) was deliberately structured to have a flat collar to replicate an original image that I’d seen and liked.

I haven’t handled a Headwind A-1, but I do like the images that I’ve seen, so I have a cape 37J1 project underway with Jay which will come to fruition soon. However, that will have a varsity collar of course.

It’s a similar issue with the Bronson 37J1 (in jungle cloth) - if the manufacturer skimps on the depth of material used then the collar has too sit upright and that is more irritating IMO.

ties70

It shouldn’t be an irritant Brett (unless it’s a rough wool and worn upright). As a long time wearer of the A-1 and having worn a large number of repros from different manufacturers (GW, ELC, BK) the key is how well/flat the collar lays when unfastened. Most manufacturers don’t get this right from a comparison of period photos and modern images.

If the collar profile is correct (with a higher back) and the knit tension is correct then it should sit properly. John gets this right and did so quite early in production. I’ve had several ELC which were too low at the back and wouldn’t fold properly.

My ELC .50 cal is so good is so many respects that I took the risk of replacing the collar myself with a deeper knit rather than sell it on, so this one is just about right in this regard.

The BK A-1 prototype that had I helped to develop (early variant with single button collar, buttons to the waistband, etc.) was deliberately structured to have a flat collar to replicate an original image that I’d seen and liked.

I haven’t handled a Headwind A-1, but I do like the images that I’ve seen, so I have a cape 37J1 project underway with Jay which will come to fruition soon. However, that will have a varsity collar of course.

It’s a similar issue with the Bronson 37J1 (in jungle cloth) - if the manufacturer skimps on the depth of material used then the collar has too sit upright and that is more irritating IMO.

Ian,

it is interesting how different tastes are: The A-1 is actually the only flight jacket where I like an upright collar more than the flat one...

Ties

Brettafett

Interesting... Thanks for that, my knowledge of the A-1 is quite limited. However, I doubt anyone could go wrong with any of those makers...
Will be interesting how AVI's version compares. I am considering getting one and trying it out. I like the idea of a light summery flight jacket...
Will wait and see pics first.

Smithy

The A-1 was always a jacket that never really appealed to me, I always thought it overly fussy with the knits and buttons, but it's grown on me lately (in no small part due to some owners who have posted their jackets here).

I also quite like the Amelia Earhart jacket that Jay at Headwind has recently brought out, it's a good looking jacket.

Dr H

Ian,

it is interesting how different tastes are: The A-1 is actually the only flight jacket where I like an upright collar more than the flat one...

Ties

Yes, different strokes, Ties.

I prefer to have the option to raise the collar on an A-1 when it’s cold, wet, or windy, but usually wear it folded flat (as many airmen seem to in the period images) as I’m usually wearing the jacket in warmer weather.

Dr H

The A-1 was always a jacket that never really appealed to me, I always thought it overly fussy with the knits and buttons, but it's grown on me lately (in no small part due to some owners who have posted their jackets here).

I also quite like the Amelia Earhart jacket that Jay at Headwind has recently brought out, it's a good looking jacket.

The best repro A-1 that I’ve seen is still Alan’s ELC from his Avatar. That would have been a keeper for me with such a good fit.

I prefer the buttons to the zipper on the A-2, as it’s far more practical to unbutton the waistband/lower button when seated and driving without the jacket riding up.

Brettafett

[QUOTE="I also quite like the Amelia Earhart jacket that Jay at Headwind has recently brought out, it's a good looking jacket.[/QUOTE]
I saw that and it does look nice, but isn't that a girls jacket o_O just kidding! :) That jacket oozes 'classic'...

Smithy

it’s far more practical to unbutton the waistband/lower button when seated and driving without the jacket riding up.

That's a good point which I hadn't thought of. Miles apart but same principle as the double zipper on my Canada Goose which is genius when you sit down in a car.

Persimmon

The best repro A-1 that I’ve seen is still Alan’s ELC from his Avatar. That would have been a keeper for me with such a good fit.

I prefer the buttons to the zipper on the A-2, as it’s far more practical to unbutton the waistband/lower button when seated and driving without the jacket riding up.

Ian
I changed the Avatar after all these years to the more recent A1 Admiral.

As for being a keeper I once actually sold it to a fellow forum member - horseback rider and managed to buy it back. The dumb things we do.
However in case any one reading this thread hadn’t seen it and was wondering ..

12977160-BBB6-48EC-A7C5-27330799990E.jpeg

Dr H

Don’t let it go again Alan.
That’s one of the very best made by ELC and the fit is spot on.

johnwayne

I think it was seeing Alan's that tempted me to go for my Superior Flight Apparel (now Norshor Leather) A1, Mark there made just 2 or 3 I think from a nice batch of cape skins he secured and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse and I love it! I particularly like the raw edge, triple stitched seams as also done by GW unlike everyone else's rolled seams.
We haven't heard from Mark for some time I believe due to his wife's illness, anyone heard? Really hope it's all positive.

Smithy

I bought a B-15 off of Mark back in 2013 and he was excellent to deal with and a nice chap. That's very sad to hear that there's been illness in his family. I haven't seen him round here or even the hat place (when I still hung around there) in yonks.

He made some beautiful jackets too. I can remember a stonkingly nice 30s/40s inspired civvy jacket with knits and a mouton collar he made for - IIRC - one of the members here? It was called a Stratoliner or something similar and was a really handsome jacket.

Southoftheborder

I bought a B-15 off of Mark back in 2013 and he was excellent to deal with and a nice chap. That's very sad to hear that there's been illness in his family. I haven't seen him round here or even the hat place (when I still hung around there) in yonks.

He made some beautiful jackets too. I can remember a stonkingly nice 30s/40s inspired civvy jacket with knits and a mouton collar he made for - IIRC - one of the members here? It was called a Stratoliner or something similar and was a really handsome jacket.

I remember seeing that jacket there and really liking it. It was this one below I think shown before he'd finished the knits.

I've owned a few post war civilian 'bomber jackets' over the decades but originals are getting very old and it's hard to find a good one now. The last one I had was pretty good but it was too short really. Originals are almost always too short. I've tried to get one made in the UK a couple of times in the last two or three years but every time something went wrong.

Anyway I hope everything worked out for him and his wife.

CompDown939-1.jpeg

Smithy

I remember seeing that jacket there and really liking it. It was this one below I think shown before he'd finished the knits.

I've owned a few post war civilian 'bomber jackets' over the decades but originals are getting very old and it's hard to find a good one now. The last one I had was pretty good but it was too short really. Originals are almost always too short. I've tried to get one made in the UK a couple of times in the last two or three years but every time something went wrong.

Anyway I hope everything worked out for him and his wife.

View attachment 4995

That's the one! It's an absolutely cracking jacket. He did another one in russet with mid brown knits which was nice too, but that one above in the chocolate seal was the pick of the bunch.

Wonder if he still offers it? IMO as far as civvy flying jackets go it was the bee's knees and better than ELC's Air Comfort.