• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR Bronco 29191 A-2

jeremiah

Great looking jacket Brett.
Should be interesting to compare the veg tanned with the chrome tanned goat from the same company. Like in how it drapes.
My ELC is draping nicely these days but only because I wear it all the time. The veg tanned hide is still rather stiff at times but gets real pliable when worn for a bit and it warms up some. Contrasted with chrome tanned which is always soft and never stiff.

Silver Surfer

hey b man, try the pecards brown leather goop. it will incrementally darken the jacket. it is actually a brown with a reddish hue. after a coupla applications, you will get a color akin to wwll russet goat original a-3s. try under a pocket flap first, to see if its for you.

Brettafett

B-man, I'd be very interested in the results of this... I actually bought some Feibings dark brown leather dye and was going to 're-issue' my AVI russet, but elected to return it rather.

Smithy

I can't remember whether it was here or over at the hat place but there was someone I can remember who used the Pecards brown leather stuff on a russety coloured jacket to very good effect. This is yonks ago, probably pushing 10 years or so.

Definitely worth a crack Burt and good idea Vic.

B-Man2

B-man, I'd be very interested in the results of this... I actually bought some Feibings dark brown leather dye and was going to 're-issue' my AVI russet, but elected to return it rather.[/QUOTE
Brett & Tim

I’ll get some of the Pecards Brown and give it a try. Once I’m finished I’ll post a few pictures. Hopefully it will help it out a bit

Smithy

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on my AVI Bronco as I've had it exactly a month today. It's been pretty warm here of late, even hitting 30 on Wednesday but being in the Arctic the temperature has a tendency to drop and even in summer here a jacket which cuts the wind out is damn handy.

Sometimes after you've gotten something the polish can wear off and you're not as thrilled as when you first got the thing. Well that couldn't be farther from how I feel about my AVI Bronco. I just simply love this jacket, the fit is bloody spot on, the leather is wonderful and is already developing some beautiful creases and graining - in fact the goat is some of the nicest goat I've had, and combined with the details it's just a blinder of an A-2 repro. If anyone here is after a damn good repro of an original Bronco A-2 and for a bloody good price, buy one of these. A superb A-2 for the price.

B-Man2

CF7B03CF-08AC-4A11-B563-4E9385D403A3.jpeg
E6ADC9A0-5BD4-468B-BE1D-8BAE0FC530C6.jpeg
4C3093F9-02D3-4C10-9B81-6469BFE2CBE8.jpeg
I thought I’d back up Tim’s last post with an update on my Russett Bronco. As I mentioned a few times , I love the jacket but was sorry I choose the Russett color instead of the seal colored jacket that Tim purchased. The Russett color AVI still needs a little work in my opinion. Well, after a few different attempts to get the Russett color darken a bit , I think I finally nailed it down with the help of “Silver Surfer”. In a few posts north of this one, he recommended that I give the jacket a nice coat of Pecards Brown Dressing. Well, I took his experienced advise and he was right on the money. I like the deeper toned Russett color of the hide a lot better now and I’m happy with the over all results. If anyone has a Russett jacket and would like to give it a color lift to a deeper richer looking tone, try this method first. My thanks to “Silver Surfer” for his sage advise.
Check out the photos.,I purposely left the arms undone and just coated the body of the jacket for a contrasting color photo. The arms will be the final touch up.
Cheers
B-Man2

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

lookn good, brudda. i took the bait and got a russet avi, and though it is not top tier, it is better then expected. already i have replaced the crappy collar clips, and installed a nos talon puller. i did the brown pecard work 3x , and then mixed up some raw umber with a little burt sienna oil paint in a wash with thinner, and just wiped it on as haphazardly as possible [like veg-aniline]. then another pass with brown pecards. i am trying to get to a place somewhere in the doniger-bronco-2nd rw contract range. btw, when i got the jacket, i felt that the hides were a little spongy, due to not having been totally free of residual moisture, and or tanning chemicals. i soaked the bejesus out of it and left it in the sun to "cure". this stiffened the hides, and shrank them. i re soaked and stretched the jacket this way and that, as well as put it on wet and articulated the arms and swung my arms back and forth to give the body some stretching, while pulling on the bottom back and front. i reckon that the jacket is becoming what is known across the pond as bespoke, ie: custom. next step is to replace the knit elements with a color and weave more in tune with what should be used. for the dough, not to shabby, not to shabby at all. and, i get to play a little. my one peeve is, no coke , pepsi, that is, crappy talon repro, not crown......as was per original. ok, im over it.

B-Man2

Greg;
Its coming along nicely. I think these jackets, while they might not be high end repro's, have a lot of potential for creating your own unique jacket.
I find myself trying things with this jacket, that I wouldn't dare try with an ELC, Aero or Good Wear, because if you screw up you haven't lost a bunch of money. Take a look at what Vic (Silver Surfer) is doing with his new AVI Russet. (The post below my last). He's going all out on the creative side. I wouldn't try that with a high end repro. I can't wait to see how his turns out.
Thanks for the kind words by the way.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Well that works B-man!
I feel the same way about being able to 'experiment' with these jackets without panicking about it, and then just wear the heck out of them.
Looking forward to pics Vic.

Silver Surfer

pix when ive trained the mut to sit,, beg, jump, etc. agreed with all above, in that monkeying around with an inexpensive repro is a win-win, and not what one would do with a 1k+ repro. the coloration of burts avi is very close to the original coloration of an original perry goat that has not been mauled or redyed. once upon a time buzz offered a rw repro that was in a kinda pale blond hide. the idea behind it was that with the goop supplied with the jacket, you cold darken it to your personal preference. an interesting idea, except that the hides were of the "oil pull" hh type, and would always resort to the light color underneath when folded creased, or worked. whats more, when abraded, the hides would darken, not reveal the color underneath. confusing? point being, ultimately the buz rw never looked right. not beast, not fowl. these russet avis start out on the right foot to monkey around with. kinda like mis-spent yout "customizing" 30s-40s el cheapo clunkers into hot rods.