• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avi Leather Finish

I was looking at the Avi leather website where they described the leathers that they use. Under the description of their horsehide, it says:

“Our horsehide leather is initially drum dyed before being finished with a wax and oil coating to give it a shiny surface that dulls with wear. The oils, waxes and drum dye on the surface gives the leather a nice touch.”

That’s really all it says about their leather. I assume that it is chrome tanned, but I’m not sure what the waxes and oils thing is. My understanding is that typically a jacket is finished with aniline or pigment finish. Is this another way of describing one of those processes? Or is this a completely different thing? I’ve tried to search, the forum to see if this is been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything. Anybody have any insight on this?