• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

availabillity of early N-2bs in big sizes

blackcat

Can anyone tell me why the N-2b (especially in a large / extra large size - oh and i'm talking a/b/c spec jackets) appear to be far rarer than N-2's and N-2a's ?
The B-15b and the L-2 are the rarest of those series and you would think that the N-2 would also be the rarest,
on ebay N-2's appear about 4 times a year while N-2a's are always available yet the N-2b (as stated) never seems to come up at all !

Weasel_Loader

I too thought a lot about this subject and together with others input, we've come up with this idea.

The Air Force contractors were pumping out blue nylon series jackets by the ton, when all the sudden the Air Force decides to do away with the new blue nylon color scheme. Supply was suddenly overloaded with blue nylon that quickly became outdated. They still issued N-2As and N-3As through the mid 60s, but that still left a huge surplus that was most likely sold to second hand dealers that held on to them and slowly sold them off to collectors and such. Because of the short wear season of these jackets, they tended to last a long time, whereas your lighter L-2A and B-15Cs were worn everyday and wore out much faster. Another reason is the fact that most L-2As and B-15Cs were issued only to aircrew, especially after the Korean War. N-2A and N-3A were only worn by heavy aircraft aircrew members and then most likely very little during flight.

The older A,B,C N-2B does not come up as often in the best of shape since they were all issued and worn until they fell apart. The N-2 type parka was much more popular than the longer N-3 series jackets. I was never issued an N-2B but was instead issued a N-3B and hated it for work. Impossible to get your hands inside tight spaces to fix aircraft and just too bulky.

Hope I've given you some idea as to the reason blue nylon parkas are easier to find in mint condition as opposed to the early sage parkas. Maybe someone else has a different idea, but I think most would agree this is a pretty accurate explanation. ;)

usafwso

I have never liked the blue nylon due to its oily texture. What is it about the old blue nylon?

watchmanjimg

usafwso said:
I have never liked the blue nylon due to its oily texture. What is it about the old blue nylon?

I've noticed that as well, and while I'm not sure what causes it I suspect the answer is in the dyeing process because the situation does not exist in even the earliest sage jackets I've seen. I've also seen quite a few blue nylon jackets that show discoloration, perhaps from being during the taking of fuel samples. It's possible that the blue dye absorbed chemicals more readily than the later versions.

Atticus

Danny, I agree with your "seldom worn" theory. I have never understood how someone could fly an airplane dressed like this.

carolinagame011-1.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

Haha, have you seen Strategic Air Command? On some of the old bombers you could wear pretty much anything imaginable, and I suppose those big birds were tough to heat.