• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aussie Digger slouch hats

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info' Andrew. The feathered 'roo is new to me. I remember seeing them around where we lived as a kid but they were only the furry ones :lol:

Are you telling us that you are a member of a forum dedicated soley to the iconic slouch hat ? :eek:

Cheers,
Dave

Andrew

No Dave but I wish there was one. Really good factual info on this subject is hard to find. I meant the hat club :lol:

The feathered ones are really rare, therefore extra special.

unclegrumpy

Andrew said:
The feathered ones are really rare, therefore extra special.

Please don't shoot at me again for saying this Dave, but I think you're extra special and deserve something really rare from the rear end of a kangaroo on your head....my digger has the 'roo feathers, and I think your new one should them as well! :D

A

Anonymous

UG,
I can guess what part of the back end of a 'roo you'd like to see perched on the top of my head :lol: . And I'm sure at least one other member would second that motion ;) Alas, that part probably wouldn't stretch to the necessary diameter to fit my oversize noggin !!

Dave

unclegrumpy

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Alas, that part probably wouldn't stretch to the necessary diameter to fit my oversize noggin !!

I think that must be why some the 'roo feather plumes have extra furry leather pieces attached to them!

You know Dave, I was thinking that you might now need a kangaroo hide A-2 properly complete this ensemble. Over the years, I have seen a few original Australian wartime made A-2's said to be made out of kangaroo....though I was never sure how to exactly tell. Doesn't really matter, I never remember seeing one in anything close to your size! :lol:

unclegrumpy

Thanks Steve!

I think the study of the uniform traditions from various regiments from around the world is very interesting, especially from countries with such diverse and exotic animal life like Australia and New Zealand had to offer. I bet some of the adornments on those slouch hats from early last century would be totally politically incorrect today.... some probably from now extinct or severely endangered beasts.

A

Anonymous

unclegrumpy said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:
Alas, that part probably wouldn't stretch to the necessary diameter to fit my oversize noggin !!

I think that must be why some the 'roo feather plumes have extra furry leather pieces attached to them!

You know Dave, I was thinking that you might now need a kangaroo hide A-2 properly complete this ensemble. Over the years, I have seen a few original Australian wartime made A-2's said to be made out of kangaroo....though I was never sure how to exactly tell. Doesn't really matter, I never remember seeing one in anything close to your size! :lol:

:lol: Are you trying to say that Aussies made A-2s in feathered 'roo hides ? That would make them a flying jacket that might really fly. Was the idea to use them so that parachutes could be dispensed with ? Just jump from burning plane and hold your arms out like Icarus ? ;) As to finding one in my size: I appreciate that manly sizes might be hard to come by over there but no worries as feathers just get up my nose.

As to not being able to tell roo hide from horse ...... tut, tut. You should know by now that only steer was used in all A-2s ;) Horse indeed :lol:

Dave :ugeek:

Andrew

You've managed to totally lose me Mr DDR, but just because this is not a jacket thread don't think you are safe to start that on that angle.....

Corey, it's only my opinion but i'd say with almost 100% certainty that the V505 jackets were either horse, goat or cow. I don't mind the idea of a kangaroo skin A-2 (JC was going to build me one from hides I sourced a few years ago till I shelved it) as the leather is sensational, but back then i'd say they were more traditional and just used the normal critters used for shoes, gloves, jackets etc. Example, they didn't skin koalas to make slouch hats but used good old rabbit fur.

But kangaroo tail feathers were especially prized. :cool:

unclegrumpy

Andrew said:
it's only my opinion but i'd say with almost 100% certainty that the V505 jackets were either horse, goat or cow.

I always wondered about that! I have only handled a few of the V505's over the years, and remember at least one was being sold as kangaroo hide. Thanks for clearing that up!

unclegrumpy

Re: Ground Control to Major Dave...

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Are you trying to say that Aussies made A-2s in feathered 'roo hides ? As to finding one in my size: I appreciate that manly sizes might be hard to come by over there but no worries as feathers just get up my nose.

Dave, I don't think that "manly" sizes are hard to come by in the feathered 'roo jackets. My memories of the mid 1970's are still a little hazy, but think I do recall either David Bowie or Freddie Mercury wearing exactly the A-2 you covet. Seems to me it was quite a bit more colorful than what you normally fancy in a jacket, but I think you might well look dashing in one just the same... :D

a2 fng

Hope you dont mind me posting pics of my hats :oops:

DSCF0001-116.jpg

DSCF0002-115.jpg

DSCF0003-116.jpg

DSCF0004-100.jpg

DSCF0005-90.jpg

DSCF0006-74.jpg

DSCF0007-57.jpg

DSCF0008-41.jpg

DSCF0009-33.jpg

DSCF0010-21.jpg

DSCF0011-21.jpg

DSCF0012-15.jpg

a2 fng

Not really,started an Australian Vietnam collection and fancied a Slouch to go with it,picked up all the modern ones while trying to find a Nam dated one-now have 2 Nam period ones so the others will probably end up for sale or to trade.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I was thinking that I'd drunk too much cider and was seeing double. Then I wondered why a2 was showing us all his identical twin slouch hat collection. Then I thought my iPhone was malfunctioning. Then I realised what you'd done Steve and am just left wondering if you are the one who's been at the cider ;-) By quoting and therefore posting all those photos a second time meant it took me 20 minutes to scroll through just 2 posts on my iPhone that were identical :)

time for me to sober up and go to bed !

Dave

A

Anonymous

No worries Steve - Hic ;)

I should stick to using a real comp' to look at forums as the size i need to magnify things to read them makes the amount of the screen i see tiny.

Cheers !

Dave

A

Anonymous

A huge 'Thank You' to Trevor for the slouch hat i received last night. Spent the evening being laughed at by my family for having wet the hat headband area and sat watching TV with the hat on my noggin'. :oops:

Raised the crown a tad so that it looks more of a Chindit or big game hunter and less military parade and now I have a lovely, shaped slouch hat.

Now scanning Ebay to get a nice, early, bronze Rising Sun badge .............

Cheers to Couchy !

Dave