• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aussie Digger slouch hats

A

Anonymous

Not so much 'related gear' as unrelated gear. :)

Could any of our Antipodian members point me in the direction of a seller of these hats please ?

I'm looking for a size 59 or maybe 60cms. Age not important. Nor is condition within reason. I'd prefer a pugaree too.

Not sure if I should look for a particular maker over others ..... ?

Have searched Ebay Oz and done internet searches of militaria shops etc but no luck thus far.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
Dave

Andrew

Dave, avoid the repro hats like the plague. They are a silly pretend low quality rendition of the real thing and are sold for tourists to look dumb in. The worst of is the bizzare faux rising sun badge- it really makes me cringe.

Years ago I started collecting WWII hats (I wanted just one to represen my Uncles Battalion but kept going) and also a couple of modern ones, all ex Army. If you're planning to wear it you should only consider buying one of the recent ones, they're always on eBay being sold pretty cheaply by guys who've left the service or managed to get a few from the q store. I'm sure Couchy may have a way I you can't find want you want, but I'll take a look and see what I have stored away. I also bought a new sz 59 with pug for general use but I only bashed it and have never worn it.

On that subject another really important reason for getting a 2nd hand one is that it will have a genuine bash and brim shape or at least one done here. For some reason if it's not done right it looks lime something from It ain't alf ot Mum. Really important as it's the thing that gives it it's iconic character.

I'll send any auctions I see your way.

ausreenactor

At last!!!

I know a guy, but he sells fruit, but he knows a guy who has direct access to the military clothing store
at Oakey! He could probably pull a brand new hat in any size you prefer, a pug and a chinstrap. All at
tax payer subsidised prices. Hardest part would be the box. Shipping weight would be stuff all. Send me
a PM.. Complete would be around AU$60, US$50??

All the cool kids in the best Corps wear berets!! Had to throw that in..

ausreenactor

And you can have it 'bashed' with the issue army bash block! The ones on the Akubra website look similar to their
commercial stuff. Ours sit lower. My dad's 1957 Mountcastle is one of the best I have seen. It was a 60's issue.
I have a 1991 Mountcastle from my first enlistment. It is still rock hard after all these years. My current grade 2
is a 2002 Akubra. There was furore over the fact the hats went to the Czech Republic to get finished using Aussie
pelts. Then Mountcastle got the flick. Mountcastle is still the maker of the last of our Berets after they learnt that
Lanka Felts berets were made in China?? Did stink a little. The thing that made me furious was the cost of the last
contract. 1.6 Million dollars to provide 1000 hats. That's AU$1600 a piece?? Someone was copping a kick back there.
We pay $49?? Google it..was in the Army paper and all...IN COLOUR...so it must be true..

Couchy

Andrew

There Dave, I said Couchy would have a way.

Just don't go and do a Les Hiddins to it. Like Trev I prefer the higher crown and have bashed mine a bit more like the old ones- it will also sit on your head better.

A

Anonymous

Guys, thanks for your help on this.

Andrew, I prefer the high crown too and no, I won't do a Les Hiddens on it. Just want one that IS authentic.

Couchy, incoming PM. DUCK !! :lol:

Dave

Andrew

Just for comparison, here's a range of mine from different periods;

Contemporary bash- low crown- 2 Cav Reg.
IMG_5728.jpg

1952 Dated, it's mint and appears unworn. It has a pressed brass badge. It has a much higher crown
IMG_3859.jpg

1943 dated unknown maker. Probably Akubra.
RIMG0018.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Great hats Andrew. ;)

What's going on in the new avatar? Looks like Mrs. Andrew had you whack on the Irvin, and bring in the washing.

Andrew

Thanks Dave, yes they are great, especially the older ones. I started years ago and all I wanted was one or two good ones but the trouble is that just like jackets they are all a little different. Last count I think I have about 9 :shock: and all but one are stored. Hopefully sometime when their stocks go back upward i'll move them along.

The new avatar :lol: is me taking Bevan's old Irvin up in a Tiger, it's original natural habitat. Funny I was just thinking it was kind of similarto Noels.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing those Andrew. All very sweet for sure although that '52 dated one is the peachiest to my eye. Never suer how the un-edged brimmed ones will hold up. I've seen photos of Chnidits wearing them in Burma (a harsh environment for sure) that drooped down past the ears and eyes. I know they must have kept the sun off the noggins but they must surely also have been very hot. Were they worn more as a status symbol in the Tropics ?

Oh, did a chicken fly into the first one ? ;)

Dave

unclegrumpy

Andrew,

I have a question for you. I have a slouch hat brought back in WW II by a US Naval Officer. It looks like the one you have that was 1943 dated, but mine has neither a date or maker, though it does have feathers.

What it has that is different, is the center fold of the hat band is maroon.....making it look like it has a quarter inch maroon stripe in the middle of it.

My question is, do you know what the maroon signifies?

Thanks!

unclegrumpy

Thanks David!

That was a very interesting link, and solves one mystery, but then leads to another.

It now makes me wonder if my slouch hat is older than WW II or if it just has an older style puggaree added to it. Since I know the hat was purchased by a US Naval Officer who was stationed in Australia during the war, it would not be too surprising to find out he was sold a hat that was made up from odd bits the uniform shop had laying around. I doubt he knew he was getting something that signified a WW I era Veterinarian! The Naval Officer is still alive, so I will have to ask him...

Andrew

UG, can you post or send me some shots of your hat? I may be able to offer some info on it. I have a 1941 dated one which also had the rare kangaroo feathers (denoted mounted infantry or Light Horse) but by that time the horses were of course long gone so I suspect it was either only for parade use (unlikely during the War) or added post war for effect.

I presume the sweatband on your has gone (that's where they are date stamped) which usually means it's had a tough life and in that sometimes indicates that it's original pug has also gone missing and been replaced. In that case it's almost certain that the feathers are a later addition. With most of this stuff it's pretty common that bits and pices are thrown together.

A number of the hats I have I sourced from the States in similar circumstances (the Korean one). I think it was pretty common to swap gear like this around.

ausreenactor

Dave's 2001 Mountcastle Contract. Russet band, Satin edge ribbon, Russet Chinstrap, and NOS Rising Sun!!

P5271894.jpg
As we get 'em.
P5271895.jpg
After the 'bash'.

Stage one complete. To let the bash dry and then hit the brim tomorrow. Fit the
Pugaree(Army's spelling on the NSN so must be right) and then off she goes..

Couchy

Andrew

That was quick. Now he's going to have to have two of these. One to keep pretty and the other to beat the hell out of. I find leaving it on the roof for a year does wonders.

Andrew

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Thanks for sharing those Andrew. All very sweet for sure although that '52 dated one is the peachiest to my eye. Never suer how the un-edged brimmed ones will hold up. I've seen photos of Chnidits wearing them in Burma (a harsh environment for sure) that drooped down past the ears and eyes. I know they must have kept the sun off the noggins but they must surely also have been very hot. Were they worn more as a status symbol in the Tropics ?

Oh, did a chicken fly into the first one ? ;)

Dave

The leather liners suffered from sweat damage and often fell off or were removed. This obviously affects the price as you can't effectively date one without it and the manufacturer's name, date and size were embossed in it. The edging (actual name escapes me) was used on WWI era hats and was stopped after about '42 for economical reasons. I don't thnk it affected the utilty of the hat and I have several wartime hats with and without it and there's no obvious detrimental effect. I actually prefer them without it.

The other obvious cost saving (and practical change) was the substitution of the brass side clip for a press stud. Both these items were re-introduced in th '50's. There was a however a modified version made specifically for tropical use and it had twice as many vent holes at the crown and a heavier guage folded liner which was threaded on to the hat with a type of shoelace with small leather spacers. This enabled greater air flow plus it could be removed and replaced. Now i'm starting to sound like im on the wrong forum wrong thread.... :shock:

As for the chicken feathers, well they're actualy from the rear end of a Kangaroo.