• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF Tanker Jackets, New Generation 2009

veli1

I was really really interested in buying Buzz Rickson's tanker jacket but now with the new generation tanker jacket from ATF i'm not so sure anymore. These guys claim that ATF Tankers are the best on the market so I'll wait until january 2009 and see what can they offer to us:

Tanker Jackets, New Generation 2009
After nearly a year of development, we now have a new generation of Winter Combat Jackets. We have improved the quality to equal the US made coats we carried several years ago. These are now as close to an unissued original as you can get :? . The cotton twill shell is about 15% heavier than the previous jackets. Yes, it's the golden-khaki shade of olive drab #3 that makes khakifiends purr...
The lining is now heavy, 100% wool. Physically, these weigh about 1/2 pound more than the last run, and they are notably warmer. These are ever bit the equal of the those tankers that sell for $60-$200 more. As for the bargain products offered on the internet, there is no comparison.
Features:
Genuine Talon brand right opening zipper
Accurately sized and patterned
100% cotton twill shell, weight, weave and color matched to original fabric samples.
100% wool lining, custom woven to the same color and weave as WWII fabric.
Wool knit cuffs, waistband and collar, in olive brown
Realistic Spec labels

What do you guys think, is it worth the waiting for ATF new generation tanker or BR is still the #1 name in the repro market???

veli1

Peter Graham said:
They walk the walk but do they talk the talk. Pics ?

Well, ATF guys says : These are now as close to an unissued original as you can get, and only 120$ per piece.....I think there is something wrong with ATF because BR is #1 on the repro market and their tanker jackets are worth around 300-330 $(with tax.). So,who is kidding who?? 120$ for new unissued original....???? it's Not going to happen....

veli1

Peter, this is the original WW2 tanker jacket and it looks like modern BR:
tanker1.jpg

I don't have a photo of ATF Tanker Jacket/New Generation 2009 but here is their latest type tanker so go figure..
us_uni_tankeri_main.jpg

Peter Graham

I'm not sure that I like the ATF tanker. The knits are the same colour as the shell and the zipper appears to be chrome plated, not to mention it ending at the top of the collar. Originals had none of these features. Maybe the new one will be an improvment.

havocpaul

having seen most repros over many years the BR is the closest to an original bar none; the old ELC one came close too. ATF haven't posted any new pics of their forthcoming jacket so don't want to judge yet but I would be surprised if it came anywhere near a BR. It will most likely be a Chinese-made jacket (or Indian/Pakistan) as they allude to it being made outside the USA so there may be issues but we'll wait and see, love to be proved wrong as the price is good.

Swing

veli1 said:
What do you guys think, is it worth the waiting for ATF new generation tanker or BR is still the #1 name in the repro market???

The ATF jacket will probably be equal to it's price. The best on the market? No, but probably decent.

~Swing

veli1

Nothing new on ATF web site about new generation tanker...new info and maybe a few photos too?..

srivats

BR makes the best repros, no doubt ... ATF is good for what it is ... if you want accuracy, go with BR.

veli1

srivats said:
BR makes the best repros, no doubt ... ATF is good for what it is ... if you want accuracy, go with BR.

yes,BR is the best but I am anxious to see the new version of ATF tanker..

veli1

...Just a short note to say that New Generation 2009 tanker finally arrived...Here are the photos from ATF web site. This item is somewhat different than expected, not even close to BR ("We have improved the quality to equal the US made coats we carried several years ago. These are now as close to an unissued original as you can get")
us_uni_tanker_main.jpg

us_uni_tanker_det.jpg

Again,the jacket is a little loose in the shoulders, very blousy in the mid section and sleeves are "pretty big"...well, something just isn't right with this tanker and I think I'll go with BR tanker as soon I raise some cash.

veli1

here is original WW2 tanker:
tanker1.jpg

and BR tanker:
img36607472.jpg

The bottom line is guys from ATF just can't copy-paste like BR's can, i rest my case...

a2 fng

Is this one any good??

DSCF7994.jpg

DSCF7995.jpg

DSCF7996.jpg

DSCF7997.jpg

DSCF7998.jpg

DSCF7999.jpg

In my humble opinion most ATF stuff is seriously overhyped.Never owned or seen their Tanker in the flesh but owned one of their M41s and it wa sno better than any of the other ones ive owned.

To be honest the best repro M41 ive owned was a cheap £29.99 one from SOF :lol: :lol:

ties70

I can't see the improvement from the last to the actual version of ATF's tanker jacket....most obvious mistake seems to be the incorrect zipper length at the collar...

Ties

veli1

I'm actually waiting to hear more on this ATF tanker because I assume that a lot of the forum members order their stuff from ATF....so, is there any review of this new tanker style?And ATF is going to the Gap, i was wondering if anyone has any pics of Fort Indiantown Gap re-enactment?Thanks