• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATC patch

zoomer

TankBuster said:
There's alot more, way too much to photograph. IDs/wings/chits/ect.........

I think it's great that other countries are interested in our past. But, I personally like to see great items stay in the US with collectors that will take care of them and keep items together.
It is history of our country after all. But, the allmighty dollar takes the charge.
It's like this, I think...
Europe has a cultural heritage of art for art's sake. France doesn't take kindly to wholesale plunder of its paintings, sculpture, etc.
But the US made most of its culture to be used and consumed. It would be kind of un-American to hoard it - especially since normal Americans would just call it useless and throw it away.
We're only beginning to appreciate our history, mostly because we've been taught that the only REAL history is centuries old, ie, the Eurocentric POV.
There are folks studying pop culture as history - comic books, movies and such - but they tend to be tiresome academic weenies. They're not having any FUN with it, and brother, it shows!
The real celebration of our material past is happening mostly on the web, at sites like this one. :mrgreen:

The downside is that if some other group wants to set the prices on our cool old stuff, and the world market allows it, they can do it. In the case of rarities like preWW2 military gear, Japan effectively owns that little part of our heritage. Except for a few surviving small planes, it's over there, and likely not coming back.

A

Anonymous

I always thought cultural psychology would be an interesting field. After WW2 the Japanese went after the western culture. Militaria, Harley Davidson, you name it. Maybe after being under military law for so long they wanted the freedom associated with the west.

zoomer

MarkP40 said:
I always thought cultural psychology would be an interesting field. After WW2 the Japanese went after the western culture. Militaria, Harley Davidson, you name it. Maybe after being under military law for so long they wanted the freedom associated with the west.
I think it was part Stockholm Syndrome - when you grow sympathetic with your occupiers - and part the fact that we helped save Japan's ass by making her an industrial powerhouse.

Of course, it might also be the fine Japanese eye for form and detail, and the love of history that you find in any very old society. A society that makes finely crafted, delicate things like netsukes and rake sand in rock gardens is much better equipped to appreciate the variations in 12 different makes of A-2 jackets than a society that actually made A-2 jackets, in a hurry, for airmen at war, and afterwards, mostly wanted them to paint houses in.

shanghai joe

zoomer said:
TankBuster said:
There's alot more, way too much to photograph. IDs/wings/chits/ect.........

I think it's great that other countries are interested in our past. But, I personally like to see great items stay in the US with collectors that will take care of them and keep items together.
It is history of our country after all. But, the allmighty dollar takes the charge.
It's like this, I think...
Europe has a cultural heritage of art for art's sake. France doesn't take kindly to wholesale plunder of its paintings, sculpture, etc.
But the US made most of its culture to be used and consumed. It would be kind of un-American to hoard it - especially since normal Americans would just call it useless and throw it away.
We're only beginning to appreciate our history, mostly because we've been taught that the only REAL history is centuries old, ie, the Eurocentric POV.
There are folks studying pop culture as history - comic books, movies and such - but they tend to be tiresome academic weenies. They're not having any FUN with it, and brother, it shows!
The real celebration of our material past is happening mostly on the web, at sites like this one. :mrgreen:

The downside is that if some other group wants to set the prices on our cool old stuff, and the world market allows it, they can do it. In the case of rarities like preWW2 military gear, Japan effectively owns that little part of our heritage. Except for a few surviving small planes, it's over there, and likely not coming back.

if you've got BIG bucks I'm sure thru intermediaries/agents they can return to their original homes..........money rules.........

shanghai joe

zoomer said:
MarkP40 said:
I think it was part Stockholm Syndrome - when you grow sympathetic with your occupiers - and part the fact that we helped save Japan's ass by making her an industrial powerhouse.

Of course, it might also be the fine Japanese eye for form and detail, and the love of history that you find in any very old society. A society that make finely crafted, delicate things netsukes and rake sand in rock gardens are much better equipped to appreciate the variations in 12 different makes of A-2 jackets than a society that actually made A-2 jackets, in a hurry, for airmen at war, and afterwards, mostly wanted them to paint houses in.

ah yes how else can you explain a culture that treasure the art form of the katanas and its ikes which in reality are killing weapons ? Nihonto.....

zoomer

Bushido. Death before dishonor. Guys in caves in the South Pacific waiting 40 years for orders from HQ that will never come.

Roughwear

Back to the original subject of this thread-the ATC novelty patch has just passed the $200 mark with 5 days still to go.

taikonaut

Roughwear said:
Back to the original subject of this thread-the ATC novelty patch has just passed the $200 mark with 5 days still to go.

Maybe a bidder reading this thread?

PS. If you like something dont rave about it publicly until it arrives safely in your hand.

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:

thanks..........I'd forgotten about it...........after all it's not the 23rd tiger........I guess it's dementia...comes with age I'm in my earl 50s...........forgive am ole man's ramblings........

Roughwear

taikonaut said:
Roughwear said:
taikonaut said:
About $140 being unworn and not seen action.

We'll see. However, there is a leather ATC patch on Ebay selling for $202 and its the conventional design, but made from sewn leather. I have seen ATC novelty patches go within the range I mentioned above.
Yes but there is bound to be others going for less. Theatre made stuff for me personally has to seen action and came off a jacket.
There was a nice bullion AVG patch that saw action went for $175 the other night, I know which one I like more. Then again I am not a patch collector.

The novelty patch has just exceeded $300 with around 5 days to go!

shanghai joe

The novelty patch has just exceeded $300 with around 5 days to go![/quote]

why? high bidder is naraikiito............let's say it's an exception rather than the norm, shall we?

let's say he's hungry.............. :lol: