• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATC patch

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:
Tranquility Base said:
By way of example, I recently purchased a small hump pilots group from Ebay for one of the clients above. It cost far too much but it wasn't my money. He doesn't like it so said I could keep it! This is the kind of mentality people with far too much money have.

Is this the deal Simon?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0215008546

No, that is part of the 23rd FG display I'm putting together. The hump group was an A-2 jacket, hat and wings.

TankBuster

That 16th stuff is great! I have a very large grouping of 16th items including his jacket, patches, and a photo album of well over 150 wartime pics. The A-2 is from a early war flyer with the 16th. He ended up taking over command of the squadron in 1944 for 4 months before heading home.
Here's a couple pics.................

028-2.jpg

014.jpg

012-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

This was his plane, Named after his mother. There also ended up being a Eleanor 2nd as this AC was shot dwon

001-5.jpg

TankBuster

There's alot more, way too much to photograph. IDs/wings/chits/ect.........

I think it's great that other countries are interested in our past. But, I personally like to see great items stay in the US with collectors that will take care of them and keep items together.
It is history of our country after all. But, the allmighty dollar takes the charge. I would imagine if the Chinese entered the market, as the Japanese did back in the late 90's, and drive up prices of jackets/ect wildly, it would be short lived before the interest dwindled and the market corrects itself. Just like what happened about 6 to 10 years ago.
It definitley wouldn't be wise to buy anything if a run like that were to take place. I know a couple collectors that bought items during the big Japanese surge. They ended up loosing thousands on purchases made during the BIG PUSH after the Japanese pulled out of the market.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:

I think it's great that other countries are interested in our past. But, I personally like to see great items stay in the US with collectors that will take care of them and keep items together.
It is history of our country after all. But, the allmighty dollar takes the charge. I would imagine if the Chinese entered the market, as the Japanese did back in the late 90's, and drive up prices of jackets/ect wildly, it would be short lived before the interest dwindled and the market corrects itself. Just like what happened about 6 to 10 years ago.
It definitley wouldn't be wise to buy anything if a run like that were to take place. I know a couple collectors that bought items during the big Japanese surge. They ended up loosing thousands on purchases made during the BIG PUSH after the Japanese pulled out of the market.

So should I feel guilty about owning some great American A2s and B3s? When I have have photos and other items belonging to a vet I always try to keep them together.
:)

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:

Tend to agree, though the Chinese consider it as much their past as ours. The war was in China, chits were Chinese issued, patches were Chinese/Indian made etc. AVG, CNAC, CACW etc. were all Chinsese flag units. I think they're just as respectful and able to take care of these items as any American. Not sure whether my small projects are a sign of bigger things to come, but for now at least there seems to be an interested market emerging. Yes it'll will probably peak and trough just like the Japanese one.

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:
That 16th stuff is great! I have a very large grouping of 16th items including his jacket, patches, and a photo album of well over 150 wartime pics.

Stellar! Is that patch sewn to the jacket? ... doesn't look like it's even been worn.

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:

it's all in the timing.........time is of the essence!

A

Anonymous

Sean is a very honest guy, he is a friend of mine, however I would bet you he could make a patch that would fool anyone. He knows what kind of sewing machine was used (he has 20 vintage machines) what kind of thread, leather etc.

A

Anonymous

MarkP40 said:
Sean is a very honest guy, he is a friend of mine, however I would bet you he could make a patch that would fool anyone. He knows what kind of sewing machine was used (he has 20 vintage machines) what kind of thread, leather etc.

Sure he can. The only part that is difficult to copy is the silver aircraft material used as the background to the original patch. Not easy to get hold of that material. Very easy to tell the difference between it and the silver painted leather or fabric that Sean has used for his patches.

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:
TankBuster said:

So should I feel guilty about owning some great American A2s and B3s? When I have have photos and other items belonging to a vet I always try to keep them together.
:)

No guilt ......please be generous and share with us less fortunate souls.......always a pleasure to see great collections!

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
MarkP40 said:

Sure he can. The only part that is difficult to copy is the silver aircraft material used as the background to the original patch. Not easy to get hold of that material. Very easy to tell the difference between it and the silver painted leather or fabric that Sean has used for his patches.
I won't debate this futher, he can literally do anything, and find any material.

bseal

Tranquility Base said:
MarkP40 said:

Having had several patches personally made for me by Sean, I completely agree with you Simon.

shanghai joe

Tranquility Base said:
TankBuster said:

Tend to agree, though the Chinese consider it as much their past as ours. The war was in China, chits were Chinese issued, patches were Chinese/Indian made etc. AVG, CNAC, CACW etc. were all Chinsese flag units. I think they're just as respectful and able to take care of these items as any American. Not sure whether my small projects are a sign of bigger things to come, but for now at least there seems to be an interested market emerging. Yes it'll will probably peak and trough just like the Japanese one.

Simon,

Thank you for a fair and balanced view.

Like I said the dragon is stirring from its slumber......

It's an association thing....that's why I'm into CBIs and funds permitting 8th AAF...thinking of the bloody 100.............BIG coin :(

Better a masterpiece than many many almost theres.........now where did I hear that?? :lol:

ol joe

TankBuster

Was out enjoying some golf in this great weather we have today. So I missed out on answering some things here......

Andrew,
I didn't mean that you should feel guily by any means. My statement came across a little different than I intended. I do however like to see great groupings with historical value stay in the states or be placed in a museum. I know you respect and treat your items very well, so no offense to you intended.

Simon,
Yes, the patch is sewn to the jacket. He really didn't wear it much. It was purchased directly from the vets daughter. It's a great grouping. He entered in late '42 and flew thru late '44.
I treasure the original photo album dare I say almost as much or more than the jacket. There are photos of this pilot being awarded the airmedal, and DFC by Chenault. Great early photos of P-40's and life on the base at that time. There are also many photos of the 16th patch being worn on A-2 jackets.

As far as your other statement, I agree that the war was fought in China, and chits were Chinese issued, so I see your point there. I just like to see items belonging to US airmen stay here. I know it will never happen that way. Call me sentimental I guess ;)

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
Was out enjoying some golf in this great weather we have today. So I missed out on answering some things here......

Andrew,
I didn't mean that you should feel guily by any means. My statement came across a little different than I intended. I do however like to see great groupings with historical value stay in the states or be placed in a museum. I know you respect and treat your items very well, so no offense to you intended.

Simon,
Yes, the patch is sewn to the jacket. He really didn't wear it much. It was purchased directly from the vets daughter. It's a great grouping. He entered in late '42 and flew thru late '44.
I treasure the original photo album dare I say almost as much or more than the jacket. There are photos of this pilot being awarded the airmedal, and DFC by Chenault. Great early photos of P-40's and life on the base at that time. There are also many photos of the 16th patch being worn on A-2 jackets.

As far as your other statement, I agree that the war was fought in China, and chits were Chinese issued, so I see your point there. I just like to see items belonging to US airmen stay here. I know it will never happen that way. Call me sentimental I guess ;)

how about..........patriotic?

the whole package....think provenance..........

respect,

ol joe