• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At the movies

fleet16b

Peter Graham said:
Donald Sutherland wore a cool looking leather jacket in Kellys Heroes. Not an A-2 but worth a mention.

"Moriarity... always with the negative vibes man always with the negative vibes...whoof whoof :lol: :D

Corey

Space Cowboys! :D

clint_eastwood1.jpg

rich

Cam and Platon have already said Hanover Street, but here's a pic. Also, James Caan in Alien Nation. Both timeless classics -
well, in someone else's universe maybe.............

hf.jpg

jc.jpg

jack aranda

This is a bit of a reach, but, I remember a WWII film with Wallace Beery (!) and James Gleason (!!), "This Man's Navy" about the LTA--Lighter Than Air corps; swabs in blimps hunting U-boats. Beery wears, I think, an M-422A, a little too small for him, throughout. I found a trailer on utube, if you are at all curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll_nJdt ... L&index=11

You youngsters won't remember Wallace, but he was a hero of mine as a lad. "Viva Villa", "Bad Bascomb", "Tugboat Annie", and "The Lost World" starred this lovable shlub.

Mac

They Were Expendable (1945). Robert Montgomery, portraying a Navy PT boat commander, wears an A-2 throughout the film. Since Montgomery served in the US Navy during the war, rising to the rank of Lientenant Commander, I've wondered if he himself wore a A-2 during his service. (He directed some of the PT Boat scenes when John Ford fell ill.)

His character John Brickley was based on Medal of Honor recipient John D. Bulkeley.

sjff_03_img0966.jpg

Mac

johnwayne

Sam Shepard in The Right Stuff I seem to recall is not a good A2 at all - I'm sure there's a back seam going on plus too chunky woolen cuffs!! However I think some of the extras have the real thing - maybe they were genuine flyers at Edwards AFB?
Anyone seen The Other Side of Midnight? A Sydney Sheldon book made into a girlie film (1977) that is actually quite a good movie with a twist at the end. A lovely young Susan Sarandon and the absolutely stunning Marie France Pisier (not sure she's done anything else) star in it along with John Beck as the American in the RCAF in France, 1940, latter to join the USAAF as the blue eyed all American hero in the Hollywood made recruitment movie? When war ends he becomes civie pilot and in one scene wears an A2 with a rather large collar!!
I guess you won't need to see it now but Ms Pisier alone is worth watching it for!!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Atticus

I was recently forced to watch part of Please Don't Eat The Dasies. Before I clawed my eyes out, I noticed that Joe, the wannabe playwrite, was wearing something that looked like an A-1. I can't find any photos on Google and I would never suggest that you rent the movie, so you'll just have to take my word on it.

AF

bob capa

Even though its not an A2 but check out Ron Perlmans jacket in Alien Resurrection. It features only once as trhey are leaving their ship before they get searched. I cant find any info on it but it looks like a shearling jacket of some sort maybe a B3 but that may just be wishful thinking

Bob

RichardP

How about "The Purple Heart" staring Dana Andrews 1944. If you didn't want enlist after seeing this movie you obviously didn't possess a pair.

Rich