• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At The Front Fleece Lined Tanker Jacket Second Pattern

CBI

Hello Gents: I recently ordered one of ATF's new fleece lined tanker jackets. They are making these as a low(er) cost alternative to their "period correct wool lined" versions. I have one of their wool ones but the fleece caught my interest. What a fun jacket, it looks great and I love the fleece lining. Its going to be a great go-to warm jacket. I highly recommend it. I even called ATF to compliment them. They said sales are going well and the response/feedback to these has been great. The fleece looks very close to wool. I know not 100% authentic but I did not buy it for that reason......however, externally, it is a damn good copy. The only issue now is that the zip still goes to the very top of the knit collar (UN-like WW2 originals) but I am OK with that. The wrist knits are now correct tube knits. I think its OD#3 in color which is more green than tan which I also prefer. One of the funnest budget WW2 jacket buys out there. Fits great as well, nicely constructed. Sorry, no pics of me wearing mine until I figure out my upload alternatives. Since I have a wool lined one as well, I decided to patch and name strip mine which I did and I love it. Debating adding a period painted nickname as well. Just hate risky painting on fabric. I will make a few test runs before. Just FYI for you guys. Hopefully this won't turn in to another long winded ATF vs. WW2 Impressions vs. BR, who makes the best tanker thread - yawn :roll: Just letting you all know this is a fun one and I guess a nod to the modern convenience of fleece (heaven forbid!!!!)

Here's the link:

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDe ... ode=USUTKF

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, I grabbed a couple of their Parsons jacket some time back for the same purpose at 75- or something. For us, a great cost effective canvas and actually much less than a large artists fine art canvas. My Dad is ecstatic over his 23rd FG jacket. I always say that most out there in the world couldn't tell the difference if their life depended on it. The very select few on this forum are just a small fraction of who's buying.

CBI

I have been thinking of buying one of the their Parsons. I really like the early wool ones and hoping they might make one of the someday. Spearhead does on eBay.

One the fabric ones get broken in they look even more authentic.

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
I have been thinking of buying one of the their Parsons. I really like the early wool ones and hoping they might make one of the someday. Spearhead does on eBay.

One the fabric ones get broken in they look even more authentic.

Maybe it's Srearhead I'm thinking of. I'll check out ATF today.

CBI

I'm passing on any painting on this. I did a practice run on a scrap piece, turned out great but it takes quite a while to do it right. Just don't want to spend that sort of time on this sort of thing these days. Maybe next year.

Peter Graham

Good call. I love my Buzz tanker but I hate the itchy wool lining. But what's going on with the knit collar ? Those ridges are not good.

CBI

ridges? what do you mean?

do you mean ribbed looking knits? They look like regular tanker knits. Quick look at the review on the WW2 Impression site with their repro compared to an original...........same ridges/ribs? looks more pronounced in the photos than in person

CBI

those ridges are not on my jacket knits!!!!! must have been a test sample photo!!!!!

a2jacketpatches

It's one of the three pics you see when looking at the fleece model so I can see the concern. Definitely funky! Just wanna be sure that there's not even the possibility you get one like that before pulling the trigger. I'd hate to argue with the guy and end up on his public hate mail list :lol: I like his stuff and his style, wonder if he's from Boston as well :D

CBI

Wow, well, I checked AGAIN and the ribs ARE there but....................I always hot water soak and dry these jackets first thing to get rid of the new jacket look. This roughed up the knits. I really had to look closely to see these ribs at all. Yes, they are really prominent in the photos but practically invisible on mine. Must be some internal stitch to help keep the shape, only on the inside. Seeing all this, I still would not hesitate re-buying if I had to do it over again.

a2jacketpatches

Post a pic if you get a chance, I'm taking your word for it and very interested in one of these for my Father as he was a Tanker in the 60's. Don't think he'd even notice but it would be good for this thread. For 100- can't go wrong.

Peter Graham

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a pic. I like the idea of one of those, but not if the collar looks like that.

Juanito

Just received one of these in the mail. Great jacket for the price. I am most impressed with the density of the polar fleece. Cuffs are of a tube design and while there are the lines on the inside of the collar, they are not on the outside. It is made in China, but I have no qualms about the quality for the price. I'll post some photos when I get home.

CBI

I have been wearing mine a lot! Great deal for the $. I don't see the SM Wholesale, ELC, being 3 times "as good" as it where for the price difference.

I actually patched both my ATF Tankers as pilot jackets with name strips and squadron patches. I love the look.

For me, I like ATF's version of OD 3 for the color. I might buy other brands if there were not as "tan-ish". Just personal preference.

Dr H

Just picked up a used one on FL.
I owned a BR Tanker before and sold it on - I didn't get on with the itchy lining, the very short/blousy cut and the ludicrously small zip (perhaps the worst design of Conmar I have ever used).
I prefer this tanker - it's warm, a better proportioned jacket and very comfortable.
As others have mentioned, the lining and knits are not accurate, nor is the length of zip, but as a go to jacket it's a great deal.

veli1

Just picked up a used one on FL.
I owned a BR Tanker before and sold it on - I didn't get on with the itchy lining, the very short/blousy cut and the ludicrously small zip (perhaps the worst design of Conmar I have ever used).
I prefer this tanker - it's warm, a better proportioned jacket and very comfortable.
As others have mentioned, the lining and knits are not accurate, nor is the length of zip, but as a go to jacket it's a great deal.

Could we get some photos of you wearing the jacket, please?

I found this ATF fleece tanker review recently on you tube channel but the jacket is actually on the desk and not on the guy wearing it...:(

Last edited: