ARMY AIRFORCES SLEEVE DECAL

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Garylafortuna, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Member

I would be interested to know when the Army Air Forces decal was first used. My concern is if there were any A-2s that predated its use. One of my A-2s is an Aero 38-1711-P that I'd like to apply this decal to, but only if they were used when or before this jacket was issued. Thanks............ Gary

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Shoulder roundels did not appear on A2s until after 19th November 1942 when AAF regulation 35-11 was passed which provided for the application of the AAF circular woven shoulder insignia to all uniforms and coats. As sewn on badges could easily be removed, from July 1943 indelible ink stamps and decals were introduced. Of course the vast majority of A-2s had already been produced and only had decals applied if they were still held at air depots for re-issue and had the new decals applied prior to re-issue. All new garments from July 1943 had the should decals applied. So the 1938 Aero would only have had the decal applied if it was re-issued after July 1943.

dmar836 likes this.
  3. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Member

Thank you Andrew. Your vast storehouse of knowledge is a boon to all of us. I salute you sir.

4. seres

seres New Member

Yes, thank you Andrew. This is something I have been wondering about, and couldn't find. Now I know.