• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use mink oil for their jackets?

A

Anonymous

NO NO NO. Pecards, Lexol should do the trick. I don't now for sure but have been told mink oil can clog pores, not allowing the hide to breathe. But that could be a bunch of BS.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
  • -Can I use mink oil on my leather jacket or leather chaps?

Many people swear by mink oil to condition and waterproof their jacket. The way I describe it to customers is mink oil vs Lexol is like putting Vaseline on your hands vs Jergens lotion. Mink oil will clog the pores of your leather just as Vaseline creates a barrier between your skin and the environment. That's why it will make your jacket waterproof. It will also eventually dry out your leather because the pores are clogged. You will also notice your jacket may have a whitish haze to it. That's what happens when mink oil solidifies in cold weather. To answer the question, it makes more sense to put mink oil on your boots, if you so desire, and use a conditioner specifically designed for quality leather for your apparel.

All American Biker

269sqnhudson

chitchat said:
NO NO NO. Pecards, Lexol should do the trick. I don't now for sure but have been told mink oil can clog pores, not allowing the hide to breathe. But that could be a bunch of BS.

I think the pores are covered in dye aren't they?

zoomer

alfanator said:
Readily available and was probably around in WW2.
Don't believe the military used it. The one approved waterproofing was tallow "dubbin" for boots and nothing for jackets.

Willy McCoy

I really don't think the military had a "waterproof" jacket in the vintage category. I have an old A-2 that i cleaned, applied many coatings of Lexol® and let dry. After that I applied mink oil. There was a slight hazing that went away after short while. It was worth it to have a leather jacket that could tolerate the wet northern climate. I can't stand poncho's and ski-wear jackets. The mink oil does wear off quickly and a good cleaning, Lexol® and mink oil is in order. I would not suggest doing this to a treasured jacket, but great for a work horse/daily jacket. I guess the Army Air Corp would use poncho's until they settled down into the aircraft.

dmar836

I have always wondered why clogged pores on a dead animal mattered. Despite the aniline or other dye issue, based on the conventional logic, clogged pores cause drying out whereas open pores don't. I guess somehow open pores allow the natural oils in the air to enter the hide and keep it moist?
I have no idea but I think if the lube can go rank - don't use it. If it has chemicals that break down over time - don't use it. The petroleum distillates everyone avoids I have seen in many popular lubes. Just as ironic as the drying alcohol that is in many moisturizers.

Anyone know how petroleum hurts in the long run and why clogged pores are an issue?

Dave

Willy McCoy

I would guess that to seal the pores would block moisture and air therefore drying it out. That is exactly why I put many coats of Lexol® over a period of time and allowed it to soak-in. The mink oil wears off quickly so I feel that the pores are still allowed to function. I was mostly trying it out as an alternative to Ski-wear for rainy day wearing.

wheat1479

I have used Lexol and it works fine,but have also used lanolin and bees wax.I had read bees wax when gets wet closes to prevent moisture absorption.Then it opens up to allow air for it to breathe.

regius

I use Montana all natural conditioner, it's a mix of bee wax, mink oil, pitch, smells great and feel great.

dmar836

On a serious note, I don't think there is a lot of good evidence posted that Mink oil is bad for leather. Im no chemist and do advise caution but much of what is said could be marketing by someone selling an alternative - such quotes do take hold. Even saddle soap, an irritating thing to remove from a jacket, hasn't appeared to do additional damage, especially if it's removed and buffed. We might not even know it was ever applied without that white precipitate.
Testing products "in an inconspicuous area" does little unless its a quick acting solvent or similar(not advising against it). The time to detect damage would likely be beyond my lifespan.
Surely, we know some chemicals are bad for things. As mentioned in a prior post, petroleum distillates and alcohol are contained even in some favored products.
I suspect that those things that deteriorate after application would degrade just as quickly if left untreated. Perhaps those who have noticed damage(I have not in 20+ years) are more disappointed that old damage wasn't repaired or that aging wasn't somehow retarded as a certain product claims. Nothing will undo damage from 70 years of poor conditions.
JMO,
Dave(currently mixing my own elixir)

Dr H

See the posts on FL (that'll be some of the residual volatile chemicals from the tanning process and the natural oils I imagine), once it's gone, it's gone...
Lots of commercial products claim to 'rejuvinate' leather, recapture the smell, etc., but I must admit to being pretty skeptical myself.