• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone here have a B-2??

STEVE S.

thats B-2, not B-3. have something i keep tossing around in my mind & might need some help. thanks!

John Lever

Had/have all of them except the latest Buzz Rickson version.
1. The Few.
Solid beautifully made with a great zip,blanket lining. Button and loop neck closure with useless snap.Very expensive
2. Lost Worlds.
Very heavy very stiff 4 oz horsehide,lightweight Talon zip,blanket lining. Double button neck closure with useless snap. Expensive if outside the USA.
3. Buzz Rickson house.
Heavy but no overly so horsehide,Talon zip moquette lining, very cool double buckle neck closure. Out of production so hard to find even in Japan.
4. Werber Buzz Rickson's.
Very light horsehide, comfortable to wear when new. Hookless zip, moquette lining, double button neck closure with useless snap. Pleated pocket.
Out of production but common in Japan.
5. Buzz Rickson's Clothing Co.
This is the only version I have not owned. It has a blanket lining and a snap closure pocket rather than the button all the others I have owned. Again same useless neck closure. Expensive.
more details here
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... p428554154

The B2 is a jacket you can wear in winter and autumn. It's not super warm like a B but does not suffer from the associated bulkyness of the sheepskins.
If you want one I can help find one for you in Japan.
A good friend has a mint Werber in a 44 for sale in Germany.

ausreenactor

Have a super BR Werber in a 44. Probably the best bang for buck jacket I have owned. Ideal for Australian winters. I had a B-3 and my ears were burning on the coldest of days.

FlyingYankee

I have a RMNZ and like it very much but it is much heavier than a GW B-3 I owned, contrary to opinion here I found the sheepskin more comfortable.

STEVE S.

what i'm wanting to do is build one from scratch & might need someone willing to provide good pics/ measurements & info along the way.

ausreenactor

Great work! I am sure that a few guys with the manufacturing expertise will be able to assist. Jacket pics are something we that just wear them can manage. How about a B-1 project! That would be a challenge!

STEVE S.

was watching this for a possible pattern when it was on ebay. but went for more than feasible just to use as a pattern:

http://vintagehaberdashers.com/tag/orig ... ht-jacket/

enlighten me on this B-1. cant seem to find much info. if i get a little more into doing this, i might sell the M-445a that i built a few years back. i have another plus a AN-J-4 i can rebuild later if i can find another shearling supplier. the one i was using wants a 300sq ft minimun order now...

John Lever

I think its a civilian B1. I remember when you made that m445 years ago on a different version of this forum and spoke to JC about it a few months ago.
John Chapman had a military B1 a while back and may have taken measurements so he might be able to help. If not you need to find an original I suppose or copy a very good repro ?

STEVE S.

i have a civvy jacket that is shaped very similar in the body & sleeves. may do a "rough draft" from it & make the necessary modifications. i'm pretty good at getting proportions right on paintwork based on pictures, so could probably get it pretty close working from pics

STEVE S.

i'm proceeding on with the project. ordered a hide today ( 2.5 oz full grain cowhide):

have a nice large piece of vintage mouton for the collar:

now to decide on a liner material....

ausreenactor

Mouton looks spot on. Hide is a ripper? How much does a hide like that cost? I remember Dad's leather work days and driving in to the heart of town to get full 4-5mm hides for his holsters. That was in the early 80s. They were not cheap then, and then prices got crazy as they started sending the good thick hides to India to get 'skived' into two thinner hides and then ship them back again?

STEVE S.

found the hide for $180. it's 2.5oz full grain, which means its the whole hide, not skived into top grain & split grain. hope it looks as good in person as it does in the pics.

was thinking seriously about using a vintage military wool blanket as a liner. if the wool feels itchy, i've found some nice looking OD duck cloth to stitch over the wool, making the wool an insulator.

ausreenactor

Man with a plan. Hide and mouton are great. All in the 'details' now. Did you want some specific pics/measurements?

STEVE S.

will wait until i get a little further into it before i bug you for specific pics 1 will mainly need pics of how the sleeve zips & main zip/windflap areas are sorted out. looks like it has an inner & outer windflap on the front.

i know its a different style jacket, but will use the basic measurements of shoulder/chest/sleeves off of this jacket that fits me so well. i think a little tapering & shortening of main body should get my basic patterns into the proper proportions, then will go from there.

I also want to do a black version of my hercules jacket at a later time. maybe add a mouton collar that this one doesnt have. i've threatened to add one to this jacket for years. get spoiled by my navy jackets & feel like something is missing on this one!

Falcon_52

This sounds like a great project and your materials really look the part. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am a B-2 fanatic so I am really curious to see how it turns out. Best of luck!

Noel

STEVE S.

hide arrived today. has excellent grain IMO.

clipped a corner & tested some thread colors. dark brown, OD green & light brown

STEVE S.

started making patterns last night. trying to decide now on which color to use for a liner, some form of brown, grey or OD green. any opinions??

original tan/brown: