• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone had any dealings with this artist?

Andrew

I'm pretty sure he used to be a member here a while ago.
I'm personally no fan of the contemporary stuff.

CBI

Agree with Leadsky - a very "modern" look, keep searching. Lots of excellent jacket artists out there but VERY hard to find someone that really creates the 40's look.

Hunter57

I haven't seen anything posted regarding Jerome in a while. I have a jacket desperately in need of some art, but wondered how he was doing?

bw-8

Tim P said:
what do you have in mind? I can post some links to some of my work.

Now you tell me! :roll: (See my earlier post: http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1060)

The reason I am asking is that I am dealing with him at the moment and he is taking quite a long time and hasn't been very responsive lately. Although there are a few negs, his e-bay feedback seems to reflect that he can be slow but comes through. I'd seen some earlier posts here about him that said the same thing. I just want to know if anyone at the forum has had similar experiences with him.

My design is from an actual A-2 on display at the USAF museum so it would be kind of difficult to make it look modern.

I'd love to see some links to your work for future reference.

CBI

Real quick, copying a WWII A-2 design from a photo or museum is great but it does not in any way guarentee the style of painting will be correct. My comment was that there are some exceptional artists out there painting jackets its just that the artwork tends to look like a modern copy of old artwork. People just painted differntly back then, the color palette was different and the style of illustration was genrally less lifelike than today particulalry in the depiction of aircraft. Even the paint was different, mostly enamel (most jacket guys use acrylic - looks like plastic) and acrylics were not available commerically until the 1950's. I think the guy you were referncing on eBay does an OK job but it looks like someone in 2008 trying to recreate an old style and not making it work. Of course, we all look that way trying to duplicate a style, some just pull it off better. I have painted a few jackets for fun and am no expert but I did a lot of homework/experiments.

Check this guy out - probably the best in the biz. Before you ask, he only paints "The Few" brand jackets as far as I know. Even he modernizes some things. I believe his prices are about double of what anyone else charges.

http://www.c-king.jp/jacketart.html

bw-8

The artist at issue has given me a firm date for delivery. We'll see. :shock:

Thanks for all the replies! :D

bw-8

I have demanded return of my jacket and refund of money but this "artist," John Canfijn, is still giving me the run around.

Because he used the U.S. Mail in the transaction, I intend to report this matter to the postal authorities if he does not refund my money and return my jacket.

Will keep this post updated as to the ultimate outcome.

better duck

Leadsky said:
I'm pretty sure he used to be a member here a while ago.
I'm personally no fan of the contemporary stuff.
A) Yes, he was a member, last year he asked me to look into his Dutch heritage,
B) great work, but I stick to more vintage stuff as well

Stony

Check this guy out - probably the best in the biz. Before you ask, he only paints "The Few" brand jackets as far as I know. Even he modernizes some things. I believe his prices are about double of what anyone else charges.

Jerome is better IMO.

bw-8

Happy to say Mr. Canfijn came through! The paint job is amazing! He takes a while but your wait will pay off beyond your wildest imaginations! :D