• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever hear of a Beacon Wear Clothing Mfg Co. M-41?

FLATHEAD

I just bought an M-41 from a guy on e-bay who told me that the jacket was made by
At The Front when I inquired about it prior to bidding on it.

But when I got the jacket, the tag inside the pocket says it made by the "Beacon Wear
Clothing Mfg Co."

So, anyone know who makes this Beacon Wear M-41, or ever heard of the
company that makes this repro? Is it an old version of ATF's M-41?

Jim

havocpaul

Could be a ficticious name used by ATF or their supplier; many repros have made-up manufacturers' names on the tags to look like originals.

9thinfdiv

It's not an ATF produced jacket. He usually uses some form of his family's name to label his stuff. I think it's a Chinese made jacket sold by a guy on ebay named "Barry London" from Thiland.

FLATHEAD

I got it from a guy on e-bay with this name: dakproppierr

He is in the US, and seems to have sold quite a bit of repro military stuff
in the last few weeks.

This Beacon Wear jacket zips up in the "american" side like the ATF version,
but after looking at it for awhile, I can see a few differences.

The bi-swing back is not as deep on this Beacon Wear version, and the buttons
are a bit more on the tan side.

I think the WPG versions also zip up on the american side, but I don't know where
Jerry gets his made, and I am only going by what I have heard, as I have never seen
one in real life.

Its a nice jacket for only $43.00, so I am not complaining. It would be nice to
know who made it.

This can't be the only one out there. I searched the internet and came up
empty.

Jim

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
FLATHEAD said:
This can't be the only one out there. I searched the internet and came up empty.

Yeah, I Googled it too ... all I could find was this one post, translated from a Dutch re-enactment forum.

In Normandy I bought an M41 size 46r, this is a fine coat is also good in breast size, etc. Is a "tag" in the jaszak indicating that it is a Beacon Wear Clothing Company product (with dated and that this supplement).
Zipper is right (where it belongs)
The disadvantage to this jacket: the left (for the viewer right) refers / collar goes double if I hang him wearing open. Call me picky, but that does not belong.

Interestingly, the original Beaconwear Clothing Co sued the United States Government over losses on a contract for 64,000 Army coats ....

http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/844246

Chandler

deeb7 said:
collar goes double if I hang him wearing open. Call me picky, but that does not belong.[/i]

Collar goes double? Is this a bad interpretation/translation of the lapels the M-41 had (and are correct)?

Chandler

Chandler

Looking at the pics, it appears the jacket just needs some ironing to lay the lapel and collar flat.

Chandler

FLATHEAD

deeb7 said:
FLATHEAD said:
This can't be the only one out there. I searched the internet and came up empty.

Yeah, I Googled it too ... all I could find was this one post, translated from a Dutch re-enactment forum.

In Normandy I bought an M41 size 46r, this is a fine coat is also good in breast size, etc. Is a "tag" in the jaszak indicating that it is a Beacon Wear Clothing Company product (with dated and that this supplement).
Zipper is right (where it belongs)
The disadvantage to this jacket: the left (for the viewer right) refers / collar goes double if I hang him wearing open. Call me picky, but that does not belong.

Interestingly, the original Beaconwear Clothing Co sued the United States Government over losses on a contract for 64,000 Army coats ....

http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/844246

I did see the suing part. And from what I read, it had to do with cotton jackets with
wool linings. Perhaps they meant the M-41? Who knows.

I do know that this jacket looks new, and it has none of the wild threads poking out from all over
that most repro jackets do.

The buttons look more tan/brown than in the picture of the Dutch guys jacket, but other than
that, it looks the same.

But what M-41 doesn't look like that right?

It seems to be well made, and has all the buttons and straps in the in the right
places.

What I ususally do if my cotton jackets come wrinkled, I just mist them down with
plain old water and the wrinkles just release on their own as the jacket dries.

Maybe this Dutch guy needs to do that to his jacket.

Jim

havocpaul

I just dug out my M-41 repro and it is a Beaconwear one; I bought it at the War and Peace Show two years ago for a mere £25.00 from a stall from Belgium (I think). I recall the same repro is still sold by Motion-picture Props here in UK. Certainly it is a very good repro, good colour, right-zipping rectangular Talon, contract label on pocket, size label at neck. The only fault I found with it was there was no second button on the cuffs (at the inside seam) as per originals. The blanket linig is thin but good quality (and must be wool for the most part as it itches if worn next to the skin). I believe these were supplied to band of Brothers for use by extras too. As to where they are/were made I can only guess as Europe or maybe Far East but not U.S. made. Now I have found mine I am going to give it some more wear, I never really noticed the name on it before.

FLATHEAD

havocpaul said:
The only fault I found with it was there was no second button on the cuffs (at the inside seam) as per originals.

Mine has both buttons on the sleeve so you can adjust the fit of the cuffs.

As a matter of fact, I like to put the adjusting flap on the second button
to tighten up the cuff. It makes the cuff look less huge.

That, and since my arms are about an inch shorter than usual, it makes
the sleeves fit better for me, and not hang down too far.

Maybe your jacket just lost the second buttons? If you don't use the collar
stay, you can always take the buttons from there and put them on the
sleeve. No one would even notice it unless you turned up your collar.

Jim

havocpaul

There never were the second buttons on mine, nor on those sold by MPP but maybe the maker has corrected that recently. It never bothered me so I didn't bother adding buttons, for the price it looks excellent and is a very comfortable, warm and stylish jacket that I don't mind putting through a little rough use.

FLATHEAD

I finally got around to taking some pictures of this M-41 jacket.

Here is the tag inside the pocket:

beacon-m-41-tag.jpg

Here's a front shot. Excuse the fu-fu hanger its on. I steal my wifes padded hangers for some of
my cotton jackets. They don't make marks in the shoulders...

beacon-m-41-front.jpg

I will try to get some pictures of the back soon.

Jim