• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any one ike to guess the maker of this A2?

Bluebottle

jacketimp said:
waht's the chest and shoulder measurement...as described in listing?
In the listing it's 19 across the shoulders, 20 across the chest. Actually the chest is 21 1/2". His sleeve and back measurements were also about an inch short. Not often a seller under estimates! I think his estimate of 40/42 is acurate though. But from the measurements given I guessed it was more of a 38/40.
For the record, I'm a 36" chest, 5'9" tall.

Tim P said:
what is a little disconcerting is that someone 'in the game' identified it as a Perry issue.

I don't think we can blame Will for this. His verdict was only based on a description according to the seller. Photos had been sent but the seller hadn't heard back from Will since sending them. I think the seller has drawn his own conclusions from rather sketchy facts and ideas. I think his description is more 'wishful thinking', not deliberate deception. Despite this, like Hawkeye I found him very pleasant to deal with, and would have no problems buying from him again.

Roughwear

Well done Mike. The jacket has gone to a good home and it fits you very well. You certainly got a good a deal too. :)

A

Anonymous

Your jacket looks really great worn- the epaulets and collar look great- the way it fits reminds me of the originals in The War Lover! You're lucky- it's like a very wearable original. Very cool!

A

Anonymous

I get a Werber feeling about this jacket- the pockets, the collar, the 1/4" stitching- I know it's civilian- but I feel Werberish about it...

Bluebottle

Thank you for the very kind comments Gentlemen :oops:

From my thread on the Flounge I have found out this was previously owned by Senicko*, and he added the Talon puller, and the hanger. He sold it on for $35 less than I paid for it, and the next owner had the waist knit added by Aero. Is $300 the going rate for good period civilian A-2's? It's not a market I've looked into before now. I would guess it's a lot more fluid than the more stable military one?

Interesting that it has similarities to Werber, one of my favourite A-2 contracts along with Roughwear.

Grant said:
Nice A-2! The LVC '33 501XX your wearing go perfect with the A-2.
Another expensive addiction I'm failing to control... :roll: But I refuse to spend over £50 on a pair of jeans, so these and a pair of '47's I have were lucky ebay purchases.

*Do alarm bells start ringing in the VLJ Command Bunker when his name is typed here? ;)

jacketimp

*Do alarm bells start ringing in the VLJ Command Bunker when his name is typed here? ;)[/quote]

who knows he could be amongst us already? :eek:

jacketimp

Bluebottle said:
Thank you for the very kind comments Gentlemen :oops:

From my thread on the Flounge I have found out this was previously owned by Senicko*, and he added the Talon puller, and the hanger. He sold it on for $35 less than I paid for it, and the next owner had the waist knit added by Aero. Is $300 the going rate for good period civilian A-2's? It's not a market I've looked into before now. I would guess it's a lot more fluid than the more stable military one?

waht's senicko's input on the jacket, since he was one time owner?

wouldn't worry too much waht you paid for it......enjoy the jacket and you could always flog it on.........that's my take on collecting.........otherwise you'll start to be a hoarder and end up with 100+ jackets! ;)

Bluebottle

It's been a while seen I was last here... A long while! So long in fact I had forgotten my username and had to ask a grown up if they remembered... :oops: (Thanks to peacoat through the FLounge ;) )

Anyway, back on track...

I've wore this jacket for a while, loved it :cool: But it had a few issues.
The tab at the bottom of the zipper was tired and wore away, so I couldn't zip the jacket up anymore.
Several areas of stitching were rotton and started giving out.
All this combined with the wear on the lining around the collar made me completely remove the liner to facilitate repairs.

Repairs to the liner were straightforward, and I had another mullered zip I could salvage one good tape from, same colour and length! And repairing all the tired stitching a breeze with the liner out.

Now, several months down the line I'm ready to put the liner back in but I'm struggling to get my head round exactly where to start? I'd really appreciate some tips from guys out there who've done this before. I'm guessing turning the whole thing inside out, but everywhere seems to be double stitched?
I know I'll get my head round it eventually, but it'll be by making mistakes... Any advice appreciated to make the process easier appreciated!

Let me know if you need me to post any pictures up.

fishmeok

I put up a "how to" post on cuff replacement that will give you some of an idea about how these things go together:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6207

The hardest part is removing/re sewing the topstiching and replacing the throat fasteners- you will either have to remove and replace them or just cover them up with new fabric. The jacket is turned inside out through either an opened up arm seam or a zipper seam and the new liner is stiched in. There is a construction seam that makes the fold line for the liner then a top stitch over the outside.
Cheers
Mark

Bluebottle

I looked in 'care and preservation' and totally missed the 'how to ' section... :oops:
Cheers Mark, good write up about the cuffs replacement!

Bluebottle

Well, I figured it out in the end. In the end it was more simple than I thought, just time consuming with trying to match existing stitch holes where I could. I hand stitched a few parts, most were on an old hand crank Singer.
Even with fishmeoks excellent tutorial I managed to balls up the cuffs :roll: When I pulled the jacket right way round the sleeve lining was outside the jacket :shock: I figured it out in the end but I'm still not sure how I went wrong, I just can't visualise the jacket when it's inside out... :?

It's not perfect by any means but I'm happy with how it turned out all the same.

4448178475_081058f9ca.jpg

4448177171_e4cb1597b8.jpg