• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any comments on the Cockpit USA Horsehide?

I have purchased a Cockpit USA WWII Government Issue A-2 Horse hide Jacket #Z2107H any one have any pics or comments about this jacket?? please!

Vcruiser

I'm not sure if anyone here has a Cockpit A2. If I remember correctly 'Cockpit' was once Avirex before the name change. They seem to be a well constructed jacket...but not patterned to WW2 A2 specs as most members here collect.
Van

Chandler

Yes, The Cockpit was the Avirex repro catalog and retail store in NYC. I believe the name is still used by them.

An Avirex horsehide A-2 was one of my first repro purchases, somewhere around 1989/1990. The hide was as gnarly and vintage looking as many members now look for in their repro hides, but other details were pretty sub-par for authenticity (knit, zippers, pocket construction and placement, etc.). A 44 fit more like a modern 42 -- Avirex being among the first to claim the whole "trim fit" styling.

I gave mine away to my brother many years ago, I keep promising to see if he still has it to get some pics, but it's not high on the priority list these days.

Chandler

MikeyB-17

I had a look at it on their website the other day, and to be fair it's not bad-certainly better than some of their other efforts. It doesn't have handwarmer pockets or the silly lining with the map on it. At least they've made half an effort to make it like a WWII A-2. It still looks modern though-I'm no expert but it doesn't look a million miles from the modern USAAF issue A-2's-am I right that Avirex have made some of those? It just doesn't look like a wartime A-2-the cut is wrong, it certainly won't have WWII style zip, the knits are probably wrong too, and WWII A-2's had the hanger as a strip of leather sewn straight across, not that little loop sticking out between the collar and the lining. Again I don't mean to be disrespectful to what is probably a fine, practical jacket-but if you're talking in terms of reproducing a WWII jacket, it doesn't cut it. As previously stated elsewhere, the likes of Aero, Eastman, Real McCoys or Goodwear all make jackets far closer to WWII specs than the Cockpit. That may not be what you're after, or within your budget, of course, in which case the Cockpit jacket should do you fine.

wop54

Hi Everybody!

My first so-to-speak A2 was a Schott that i bought more than 20 years ago..I loved that jacket and still love it (my 17 yo boy is wearing it) but suddenly realized that it was everything but an A2 :eek: (handwarmers pockets, pile lining an collar...etc) and wanted to get a "more real" thing. I went on the internet searching for an Avirex (that I heard to make real A2s) and found the Cockpitusa. I was in NYC on vacation a couple of years ago and went to their Broadways shop and bought myself their A2 ww2 repro. Eventually last year i found the acmedepot website and this forum as a consequence, and decided to get something more accurate. For a moment I thought of getting an original but im a size 44-46 and i think i could wear a wartime size only when i was 10....So I decided to order an ELC Star thats about to be delivered. Having said this, I have seen the newest ww2 Cockpit A2 and to me its much more look alike an original A2 than mine Cockpit (u can see it in my avatar).
http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/product ... 338&page=1
What do you guys think?

Cheers, Carlo

A

Anonymous

Cockpit horsehide is spray painted flat. Feels like plastic.