• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another MA-1

Atticus

I hadn't bought a jacket in forever. In fact, I just took five huge plastic tubs of nylon flight jackets to my rental storage room. So when I first saw this D-series Alpha, I decided that I should pass. After all, I really didn't need a fifteenth or sixteenth MA-1.

But it didn't sell...not even at its pitiful opening bid of $19.99...and I began to feel sorry for it. Heck, here was a decent, size XL MA-1, only months from its fiftieth birthday, and nobody seemed to want it. Not even Danny, Jim or me. Actually, I think nobody noticed it because it had been patched with some sergeant somebody's name and a silly rifle-something patch that had nothing to do aviation. It really looked like one of those cheap knock-off MA-1s that car clubs and such patch up for their members.

But, in spite of the completely wrong patches, one couldn't help but notice the Crown cigarette pocket zipper and the C&C main zipper...and the 1963 tag date. And, though I've got a bunch of D-series MA-1s, I didn't have one from the first contract.

So when the seller relisted, I set a low snipe. Almost too low, in fact. Because in the meantime some other collector must have noticed the spec tag or the zipper and I barely scored the jacket. A dollar or two more and the other guy would have taken this old girl home.

6fa30a5f-0395-40c6-853f-e083b50c21fc_zps7c6d0aa5.jpg

0528131426_zps8305a39e.jpg

0528131426a_zpsdb356caa.jpg

0528131427_zpse6092e44.jpg

AF

Peter Graham

Good score indeed. For me, those D series Alphas with the Crown/C&C zippers are the pinnacle of orange lined MA-1's. Nice to see you posting again Geoff.

dujardin

splendid

but now i'm a little bit more lost with all those contract, years, series, aso...... :lol:

Rutger

Amazing how a bargain can force itself upon a person from time to time.
Those original MA1's are quite something else compared with the later "flight satin" repros with their polyester filling and flimsy shell.
Every now and then I see a couple of 15 year olds hanging around on a street corner with terribly oversized mall MA1's and I wonder if they are even vaguely aware of how these jackets came about.

Phantomfixer

I kinda hope they keep making those repop MA-1s it keeps the younger kids from buying and wearing the real deal????? But I guess they couldnt find a XXXX large in a D series... :lol: :lol:
Great looking MA-1, another piece of history saved