• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Disney character...831st BS

ties70

Hi,

as soon as I started on this one (another design found over at toonsatwar) I noticed that CBI had made a tooled and aged version, posted over at the "hat club"...

I thought I should finish it anyway, so here it is...I will have to enhance the olive drab outline circle and re-work some of the shading, though.

831st.jpg

By the way, does anyone have a step-by-step "How-To" for aging patches? Last week I took one of my first patches and tried nearly all of the methods mentioned in another thread.

1. Wearing it in my back pocket: Made the patch blue from the denim and stretched it (which was both reversible)

2. Pouring black tea over it: Made it look yellow but not really "old"

3. Use a damp cloth with acetone: Took off some of the color.

I was even considering a variation of John Levers cow s**t treatment (Using organic garden fertilizer) but haven't gone so far yet.

Best regards,

Ties

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ties70 said:
I was even considering a variation of John Levers cow s**t treatment (Using organic garden fertilizer) but haven't gone so far yet.

A good coat of Briwax Jacobean will probably do for the faint hearted. ;)

atkins

Great work there Ties! My closest experience of aging leather was on natural hide name patch ( ebay ) which is sort of natural pink-ish at first, then i rub a touch of lexol vigorously, the oil soaked deep to the hide, darkened 2 notch, showed creases on some area by pulling ,'kneading' etc. Let it dry for an hour. I hope that help.

Regards,

Atkins

CBI

great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - here is mine. try a very lite acrylic wash.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

jack aranda

I've come to look forward very much to each new piece you produce, ties. They are simply amazing. I have a question about this patch, please. Is the figure on the patch Jerry, the cat half of the famous Tom and Jerry duo? If it is, then it is not a Disney character; T and J were drawn by Hanna and Barbera, not Disney. The first cartoons were produced in 1940, if I can believe Wikipedia, so they'd have been well-known to and popular with servicemen. Please excuse my niggling over historical/comical trivia, it is definitely not intended to diminish my regard for your work in any way. And, to second leadsky's question:
Are you taking commissions yet?

ties70

Jack,

it is indeed a mouse.

The character is from Disney's 40s Dumbo movie. His name is Timothy Q. Mouse.

What is interesting is that the film character wears a red uniform coat, while the patch can only be found with Mr. Mouse wearing a blue one....maybe the guys at Disney were afraid to have an USAAF squadron mascot run around in a "commie-red" coat :? ?

Ties

CHECK6

HI,
for me the best way to have aged patch, is to use the right colours,just use passed colours prefer ivory to white,dark yellow to bright yellow,.....
that's what i do and it works well and you have the advantage to have a brand new patch with worn look
have a bandit day!!!!!
FAB

jack aranda

ties: Thanks for the history lesson on Mr. Mouse. I know more than when I walked in; always a good thing. I'd forgotten "Dumbo" entirely. Very cool.

A

Anonymous

Ties try raw umber ,burnt umber paint found in artist stores ,another method is OLDE ENGLISH furniture restorer in mahogany color put on lightly with a cloth dont use a brush as it will leave brush marks .If you can not get it in Germany let me know and I will send you a bottle ,its magic stuff .Seems everyone likes your patches ties you sure do get a lot of comments kudos to you .Did you look into the book I recomended on half .com .

Bye for now Jeff

ties70

Hello Jeff,

thanks once again.

I will try some more ageing methods soon. I used to build a lot of military models, maybe I can use some of the washing methods...would be interesting to see what a washing with highly diluted oil colours would do to the patch.

Painting the patches is so much fun and I really appreciate the so far positive feedback.

Regarding the book:
Yes, I have checked @ half.com. Unfortunately, they do not have any options for international shipping....if your offer is still good, I would get in touch with you about getting the book with your help?

And I have followed your idea for the patch I screwed up...I will paint a new lighter blue disc and let my mum sew the character and the bomb onto it. Combined with a dark blue leather ring it should make a nice combination of painting and sewing....

Take care,

Ties

A

Anonymous

Ties I will get you the book when it gets here I will pm you ,for your address .

Have a good one Jeff

A

Anonymous

Hi Ties the book is on its way ,its coming media mail so it will take 10 days cost with shipping to me $10.67.
Do you want the olde English too ?.

Rgds Jeff

ausreenactor

Gents...

Can't rate Ties' work highly enough. The patch I purchased (USS Atule) is awesome. Get in now before his
time is pressured and his prices are forced up!! Master in the making..

Couchy

A

Anonymous

Gents Ties alway had the ability to paint he just never painted patches ,now that he has started he has set the bar higher with regards to the standard .He is now turning out little pictures on a small canvas if you will (leather) and having fun with the new world that has opened up to him and given the members a new resource avenue .This patch forum has gone from dormant to a popular stopping point to the forum members .Thanks ties for posting the fruits of your labour ,and I am happy to help you anyway I can as I am sure others are too.Keep up the good work meister!

Rgds Jeff

shedonwanna

Ties,
I agree with check6 and and jeff (DUBOWA2) for aging patches. Age your paint before it is applied by mixing in some burnt/raw umber or burnt/raw sienna. Also, adding complementary colors can help. For example, adding some green to red will darken the red. Also, after painting, try lightly applying shoe paste or leather stain with a damp sponge or cloth. Experiment with washes before and after your protective clear acrylic or varnish is applied. Try tinting a matte acrylic finish with the dark or yellowing color of your preferred wash. Real dirt and grime always works too! Need more details? Buy my book...oh wait, I haven't written it yet.

david