• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN-J-3 (Navy Version) For An Extremely Tight Budget

Technonut2112

As posted in my repro Star Sportswear A-2 thread, I am also waiting for Steve S to complete an An-J-3 remake for me in seal Indian goat / red (brick) cotton liner, and rib-racks to match. Here's a pic showing the contrast:

IMG_3206_zps4rgd2nut.jpg

I have had a 'thing' for the AN-J-3 for quite a few years now, and actually had Gibson & Barnes customize one of their M422-A's for me back when they still did that sort of thing. Basically, they just made the jacket with a leather collar, and epaulets. Here's a pic:

IMG_2833%202_zpsjp8imsgl.jpg

I had the good fortune of seeing Steve S's work some months back, and had him construct one of his AN-J-3's
for me. It was a VERY nice jacket, but there were some issues with the fit, and other small nitpicks. To his credit, Steve attempted to fix the issues, but after a couple of tries, the jacket just wasn't right. Here's a pic of the AN when it was new:

IMG_2772_zpsfw5ooqmf.jpg

Instead of tearing into the jacket again, it just made sense to request a total remake, which Steve agreed to. Should be quite nice with the seal Indian goat and brick colored liner and rib-racks for certain. ;)

Anyhow, like I'm sure many of you do, I scout eBay for jackets which interest me on a fairly regular basis. I happened to run into a new jacket today, which is constructed much like the Navy version of the AN-J-3. After checking around other sites, the jacket had very good reviews, with the majority of folks who purchased them happy. In one of the reviews on Amazon I read, it even has the inner wind-flap like the Navy version.

I just went back to eBay, and pulled the trigger on one for the sale price of around $80.00 shipped. That's correct.... Only 80 bucks. :D Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38113855891...49&var=650450809617&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Apparently, this is being marketed as a motorcycle jacket. Folks who purchased them commented on how heavy, yet supple the leather is. NO split / seam down the middle of the back panel, high armholes, and nice looking, narrow sleeves. No hand-warmers either. ;) Definitely worth a toss of the dice for me to see for myself. At worse, I will just return it, but I'm thinking it will be alright going by the good reviews. I did read that they run a bit small, and should be sized-up one or two sizes above what one wears. I'm between a 42 and 44R, so, I ordered a size 46 (only 3 of those left now)..

I'll update this thread after I receive the jacket. I know that 'lower-end' stuff isn't the norm here, but it just may make one helluva a knock-around AN-J-3 look-a-like for some folks on a tight budget, and can fit into the sizes left. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer (Mossi), has discontinued these, so whatever's left won't be around long.

Here's a pic I found of a used one in a large size 50 that recently sold on eBay, which shows the color and some grain better than the pics from the stores selling them (It even looks to have the correct larger collar as found on originals):

s-l1600jjjj_zpsw4dq1dbl.jpg

Technonut2112

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Some google-fu found that his name was Elrey Borge Jeppesen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elrey_Borge_Jeppesen

There is a 16-foot (4.9 m) statue of Jeppesen, by artist George Lundeen, in the center of the main terminal at Denver International Airport. The main terminal is also named in his honor.[2] Around the base of the statue is the accolade: ″Airmail Pilot - Airline Captain - Wing Walker - Air Navigation Pioneer - Barnstormer - Air Safety Pioneer - Businessman - Instructor".

So far, I can't seem to find a pic of him wearing the AN-J-3, but that's damn sure one on the statue.. ;)

Technonut2112

Damnit, Damnit, Damnit!! There must be a few reviewers who don't know what they're talking about, or do not know their size. The size 46 that arrived is in fact a decent size 46! ( 4 inches of chest room) Too large for me, and they have no more 42's or 44's.. :(

However, it may be good news for those out there who are interested, because for the $$, this is a VERY nice jacket. Looks to be full-grain just like the tag states, and well-constructed. Substantial, yet supple leather. I definitely will be on the look-out for one in either a 42 or 44. So, anyone who wants a pretty sweet value in a jacket, and is around a size 46 ( or a bit larger for a more military fit), do not be wary of purchasing one. ;)

I have free return shipping activated in my PayPal account, so I will be reimbursed for shipping it back. No worries there. :) I took measurements for interested folks also:

Pit-Pit: 25"
Across Shoulders: 21"
Rear collar seam to end of knit waistband: 26 1/2"
Sleeves (to end of knits): 26 1/2" (This may be a bit longer when worn due to the action back, and gussets)

Here are some pics. The jacket came nicely packaged in a large box also.

IMG_3060_zpsqackpctw.jpg

IMG_3061_zpsznb5rnty.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsqwdo8mpy.jpg

IMG_3064_zps1tsfvmjs.jpg

IMG_3065_zpsgwxlhpjd.jpg

IMG_3062_zpshuzjoyox.jpg

IMG_3067_zpsnvgj47r5.jpg

bseal

Good Wear is in serious trouble now---Moderators lock this post and prevent J.C. from viewing please.

Technonut2112

Good Wear is in serious trouble now---Moderators lock this post and prevent J.C. from viewing please.

LOL! :) Regardless, not a bad jacket at all for the low price.. The thread topic is for folks on an extremely tight budget. Not everyone has the means to purchase $1,000.00+ jackets, and may like something like this. I have owned jackets made by Aero, Eastman, RMNZ, GW, Wested, and others up and down the price charts over the years, and wouldn't have an issue wearing one of these. ;)I certainly do not look down my nose at any decently constructed jacket, no matter the price.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

I agree, it looks great for the price.

Sorry if my last post came-off as somewhat defensive. I used to lurk and post some here, and the 'Hat Place' back around 2006-2007 or so, and enjoyed the means to be fortunate enough to own many 'high-end' jackets, hats, vintage clothing, etc.. That is until a nasty divorce forced me to sell-off much of what I had, and reduced me to not have as great of means as before. I quickly learned to be satisfied with pretty much any well-constructed item which provided a good value to me. I did manage to hold on to a few of my better jackets, and have just recently been able to add some nicer jackets to my wardrobe.

Nothing like getting knocked-down a few pegs in life to make me appreciate things I may have been guilty of looking down on in the past.. ;)

MikeyB-17

I reckon that looks pretty darn good for that money-sadly they ain't got any in my size either, which is a shame because I fancy an AN-J-3.

bseal

I was just teasing J.C. who has had an original in his collection but found the collar not to his aesthetic, and thus was in no rush to make a clone.

Technonut2112

I was just teasing J.C. who has had an original in his collection but found the collar not to his aesthetic, and thus was in no rush to make a clone.

I get it now... :) I've seen JC's original, and a couple of others in past threads here. I would love to have an original in good, wearable condition. I have searches in on eBay to hopefully catch one at a good price, but no luck so far.

I kind of have my eye on a 'Navy G-8' (As most here probably know was never issued by the Navy) made by Mossi. I messaged the seller asking for measurements, but haven't had a reply yet. It's listed as new without tags, in a Large. I just don't want to send back another one that fits like a tent if I purchase it, but for 60 bucks shipped, it has a nice, vintage look, if one could overlook the seam down the back panel. It's supposedly buffalo-hide, but probably more like water buffalo. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161980841867?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg