• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN A2 AND i DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BOMBS AND ARTWORK MEANS.....

explorerblue57

bombs away said:
Jeff,

I agree with you.

About the 2 red bombs painted on the jacket, I quite 100% sure that they represent the 2 missions John Galea flew on 6th June 1944 (mission #100 and mission #102).
http://www.b-24.net/missions/MM060644.htm

It was a common way to show that you had participated to the great battle of D-Day.

Tim.
This is so very cool....I just found Johns name on those 2 missions , 100 and 102..and it was D-Day.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
explorerblue57 said:
I'm still foggy about how to post the URL ?? here. Do so if you want.

... and Leslie, we have it now, but if you do ever want to post an URL, don't worry about the highlight, and add tags ... simply paste the URL into your post, it's that easy.

capt71

An update:
The bidding ended on Leslie's A-2 on 1/28. The bid is $2057.77, "reserve not met". Wonder what her reserve was? That seems like a pretty good bid. Leslie, if you're still out there, let us know the final outcome.
Bill

explorerblue57

Whew, and I am glad the auction ended. I sold it to a very nice Italian American pilot from Pennsylvania who will wear it with pride on special occassions. He bought it for 2500. The bidding never reached my reserve price of $3,000. We looked up Missions flown and as the the bombs were painted on the jacket , the 2 D-Day Missions were in the right order.
Thanks for the help from all of you on this forum. I learned a lot, and good luck to all you jacket hunters. I hope you find what you dream of.....the perfect jacket for you !
LESLIE

EMBLEMHUNTER

Leslie,just a quick note, the 392nd only had thier Group emblem,never had any Squadron designs I have ever seen or know of,I am really surprised with knowing who this came from and having the background to it that you would want to part with it, especially as good looking and all the ar/patches etc, man I'd give my left .... to get one like that but $$$$ is never that good for me,ooh well I really envy the guy in Pennsylvania !