• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN A2 AND i DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BOMBS AND ARTWORK MEANS.....

explorerblue57

HI ,I'M NEW TO THIS BOARD. I HAVE JUST POSTED ON EBAY AN A-2. IT BELONGED TO A DISTANT RELATIVE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE ART WORK ON THIS JACKET MEANS ? ALSO IF SOMEONE IS INTERESTED OR YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR AN A2 IN VERY GOOD CONDITION , IT'S FOR SALE ON EBAY.
I'D POST PICS HERE, BUT DON'T SEE HOW (NOVICE HERE)

Hamsterbear

explorerblue57 said:
HI ,I'M NEW TO THIS BOARD. I HAVE JUST POSTED ON EBAY AN A-2. IT BELONGED TO A DISTANT RELATIVE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE ART WORK ON THIS JACKET MEANS ? ALSO IF SOMEONE IS INTERESTED OR YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR AN A2 IN VERY GOOD CONDITION , IT'S FOR SALE ON EBAY.
I'D POST PICS HERE, BUT DON'T SEE HOW (NOVICE HERE)

Post the eBay link so we'll know what you are talking about.

442RCT

Bombs and artwork ?
Could it be this listing for your cousin's jacket ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-A-2-Leather-Bo ... 33595a54e4

381411613.jpg

381411614.jpg

381411615.jpg

bombs away

Hello,

What a beauty you have there ! It would fit perfectly in my collection. :mrgreen:
The patch is from the 392nd Bomb Group, 8th AF.
A very well known bomb group. There are a lot of patched jackets from this group in the last Maguire's book.

Tim.

bombs away

Just forgot the most important :

here is your cousin, John H. GALEA :
Demers.jpg

He's not wearing this jacket, or this one wasn't patched or painted at this time. It could be a picture taken before going overseas, so the jacket may have been "decorated" later.

Tim.

TankBuster

Very nice Crusaders jacket indeed. ;)
Tim, since the other guys have squadron patches on already, I'm thinking this photo was taken in England.
Many guys didn't decorate their jackets until a tour was finished, so that may be the case here? It may
have been taken early on in the crews tour. Who really knows for sure.

explorerblue57

Wow.................I am so grateful to all the responses here. You have given me so much info --even a photo of a relative I barely knew.
I'm still foggy about how to post the URL ?? here. Do so if you want.
I'm very interested in knowing more about him.........and can I just copy this photo ?

I wonder where all the jackets are that had......red bombs painted on. Was this design done by a special artist --by my cousin???
Too bad he's not wearing that jacket ..but it is a nice one.
I was just offered $1500, and then someone in Japan is also interested(I'd rather keep it in the USA !)
Thanks for your answers--this is very interesting.

capt71

Here's a link to another photo from the 392nd Bomb Group:

http://www.b24.net/aircrew/slayter.jpg

Notice the crewman standing rear, left end (as you face the pic) and the one kneeling front right end. Their jackets have bombs painted on them.

Guess the 392nd BG didn't have any individual Bomb Squadron patches, as I couldn't find any shown anywhere (only the Group patch)?

Don't know about the 392nd, but I know that other groups/squadrons usually had someone who was artistically talented enough to paint aircraft nose art and jacket art for the crews. I'm sure many of the men painted their own jackets/nose art also.

explorerblue57

Yes, I see the bombs painted in a sideways direction , rather than up and down. Do you think my cousins jacket was unpainted in that photo ? It is the same jacket-in fact how many were they given?Thanks , this is very interesting.

capt71

explorerblue57 said:
Yes, I see the bombs painted in a sideways direction , rather than up and down. Do you think my cousins jacket was unpainted in that photo ? It is the same jacket-in fact how many were they given?Thanks , this is very interesting.

Actually, the bombs are painted up and down, just in longer rows than yours. Can't really tell whether the jacket your cousin wore in the photo is the one you have. I know my father only had the one A-2 he was issued in training before he deployed overseas (he flew B-24s also in the Pacific). He may have had other, heavier jacket(s), but if he did, he didn't save them. I'm sure the crews wheeled and dealed for extra clothing, including jackets. I'd say the chances are excellent that the jacket you have is the same one as in the photo. As was mentioned earlier, he had the bombs painted on sometime after the photo was taken, or at the end of the war.

explorerblue57

This one stayed in the family for 50 years and nobody spoke about the guy......don't even know when he died. But those 2 red bombs could mean he flew in those 2 missions on June 6th , #100, #102 ................D-Day . I guess with a story it would have brought more on the auction block, but a real collector like you guys would know what you are buying.
I was going to put it on Manions Auction but decided to attempt Ebay. Now I'm getting attached to it and it will be more painful to give it up.
(By the way, my name is Leslie and I'm a female.)

TankBuster

Leslie,

Don't let these guys on Ebay talk you into a Buy It Now price, or to end the listing early. Most of them
are crooks, and are just looking to steal it. If they want it bad enough, they will bid on the auction. 99.9% of
the time, you will get the best price by letting it run its' course.
I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

Jeff

capt71

Leslie,
Excellent ebay advice from TankBuster!!!
My father's WW2 A-2 ended up on ebay years ago, after my father had passed away. It sold for a little over $1700.00 and it was not in nearly as good condition as yours (and no painted artwork). I wasn't the seller or buyer (I had nothing to do with it ending up there), but I eventually ended up getting the jacket back........but that's another story.

Suggest you go to:
http://www.b24.net/

There is info there about the 392 BG Association. You owe it to yourself to get some historical info about your cousin and his time in WW2--believe me, I speak from experience! You may be able to get some more info about your cousin there.
Bill

explorerblue57

Yes, I am not chomping at the bit to sell to the first person (and hopefully not to a Japanese---maybe they would want to shred and burn it !) But if the price is right, I'll have to let it go and after my 9 days on Ebay runs out and only if I get a good price.
I surely came into this knowing nothing ! I've learned more from you guys than acme depot or manions(,as they were nice but wanted me to let them sell for me, of course).

There are so many stories buried within this jacket --I wish it could talk , but then that's the genuine intrique of collecting memorabilia.
I'll look into that site--thankfully I don't have dial up internet anymore !!
thanks !