• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Classics - ELC Steer

269sqnhudson

Here's something I found surprising....The Eastman Steerhide A2 I looked at in American Classics in London yesterday is a significantly nicer leather than the horsehide ELC Cable I owned.

It was a seal brown example in a 42 (if anyone wants to buy it) and the leather is absolutely wonderful, quite thick and dense with a lovely slightly transluscent reddy-brown licquorice colour. I was genuinely really stunned. It's time-worn which doesn't suit my taste but the leather is great!

johnwayne

Any more expensive than buying from ELC direct?
Must admit I keep forgetting to pop in there when in Covent Garden - much like the vintage place around the corner in Endell Street (I think) that Havocpaul alerted us to some while ago. Have they much ELC stuff? The last time I did visit was just before the ELC tie up and thier BR tee's were cheaper than ELC!!

Cheers
Wayne

269sqnhudson

johnwayne said:
Any more expensive than buying from ELC direct?
Must admit I keep forgetting to pop in there when in Covent Garden - much like the vintage place around the corner in Endell Street (I think) that Havocpaul alerted us to some while ago. Have they much ELC stuff? The last time I did visit was just before the ELC tie up and thier BR tee's were cheaper than ELC!!

Cheers
Wayne

Actually didn't check. I might drop them a line and ask

269sqnhudson

Actually didn't check. I might drop them a line and ask

£449, same as ELC

They have a time worn Pearl Harbor with collar stand size 40 and a non-time worn A2 in Steer size 42 (I got that wrong!)
Also a scattering of time worn G-1s and M422As, all 44 or under

T

colekwok

I was there two days ago. They have rearrange their racks slightly recently. When I first walked in on Sun, I couldn't find the usual Eastman rack, but apparently they have moved it to the left side of the shop. Their prices are ELC prices, you can also try out the sizes over there and they can place the order for specific jackets from Eastman for you. They also is a good source of Redwing boots by way way.

Weasel_Loader

I'd like to see some more examples of steer A-2s. I know they are not authentic as I believe there is no written evidence of steer being used in originals, but from what others say, it's almost impossible to tell the difference sometimes between the two.

I know JC used steer on his older test samples and ELC has that option. I'd love to see what they look like after a few years of wear. A much cheaper alternative to horse. ;)

LtGustl

Servus,

during my visit in London last week, i visited the shop on Wednesday 20th April.
Sorry to say that there were no ELC jackets at all.

I asked for the jackets, but got an advise for shirts (2 us officer brown shirts).

When i visited the shop early December last year, there where ELC jackets & Buzz Rickson, too.

kindest regards

MikeyB-17

Weasel_Loader said:
I'd like to see some more examples of steer A-2s.... I'd love to see what they look like after a few years of wear. A much cheaper alternative to horse. ;)

This is my 1997 ERC Steer A-2 (currently with Platon for new cuffs).
DSCF1348.jpg

ELC.jpg