• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ambitious A-2 Project

A

Anonymous

sewing in the liner must be the hardest part I guess
congrats

dmar836

So still have to attach the collar hook but wore it to the airport today.
Linda took a few this eve after we walked the dog.
Dave

ausreenactor

Not seeing enough of the immense pride that should be on display in these pics? I would not worry about the collar hook...
Your efforts have not been wasted and I honestly feel you are up there with the best of them. To me, you have taken the
awe away from the 'high end' makers, with your first attempt. You are one broadly gifted craftsman. Almost knocks your
restored motorcycle off as my 'personal fave' over the years. AMAZING has been used before in this thread, however, I will
use it...as will many others... Well done and thank you for taking the time to photograph your creation and update us on the
progress.

Couchy

CBI

Looks fantastic. this is something I would love to do someday but will probably never happen. Congrats on a great project. I am always amazed at what enthusiastic people can do. I am also always really surprised that the allure of leather flight jackets can motivate people to spend so much time making, decorating, researching them, etc.

Very Cool!!!!!!!

foster

If I tried making a leather jacket, my first attempt would be an epic disaster. Yours looks great!
Be careful or soon people will be wanting to place orders for you to make more. :D

Skip

Not much more to say here that hasn't already been said and stated, but at the risk of repetition, can't help but say, outstanding in every respect sir, something to be immensely proud of achieving.

for the second image, Is that one of those, 'incoming bandits' poses?

dmar836

Lol. I asked my wife where that came from. I remember Klinger from MASH struck that pose but Linda remembers me doing it for a pic at The Rake in London. Guess that can be "my" pose.
Thanks gents. The encouragement was needed.
The results are nothing near the quality of the master and I could not have done it, or even started, without his help and encouragement.
Dave

dmar836

Thanks a lot, guys. I now know that the price of a high quality repro jacket is worth every penny!
Dave

a2jacketpatches

6148th T.C.Squadron said:
Hey, you should post your step by step process if you get the time. Some of these members that sew well like jacketpatches could give it a go.

Not me on my own, plenty of jacket makers out there already. I did drop a hint to JC about being an apprentice as my wife and I keep looking toward Seattle as a place to settle eventually. But for now I like being the only multi-piece leather patch guy. I can use my own discretion and style and at the same time being period accurate.

Roughwear

Very many congratulations Dave. It looks superb and you have the pocket dimensions spot on, a feature which some high end makers seem unable to replicate accurately.