• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ambitious A-2 Project

johnwayne

Not been on VLJ for a while but glad I saw this - to echo what others have said this is an excellent thread and so enlightening for the jacket nerds we are - I really applaud your desire and clearly, patience!
Well done that man!!
Cheers
Wayne

a2jacketpatches

Very interesting to see how a jacket really comes together. I would have thought that sleeves were done and then attached, and maybe the epaulettes were one of the last components added once the shell was complete. When I saw the picture of all going together the way it is, I had the same reaction as bystanders when they see me paint a portrait upside down.

dmar836

Here's an update. Sides are closed and snaps are in.
I opted to use the line 20 snaps as those were actually on some original contracts whereas the incorrectly sized Segma snaps were not. I figured if I had to compromise, I'd do it in a "period variant" way. I ordered over $100 in snap supplies only to decide on the line 20 snaps. Later found that I already had a bunch of those here! Oh well.
Still fighting this vintage machine especially over large seams. If I can get through this with no new machine, no servo motor, no guide feet, etc. I will wear it proudly. That final topstitching will be tricky for sure!

dmar836

Thanks guys. I don't have a sewing background per se. My grandmother was a sewing fanatic - guess I picked it up. I have sewn on and off since early college when I made some kites from catalogue pics. Later, a few jump jackets(before the Chinese flooded the market). It's really not much different than many other construction-based hobbies.

The pitfalls so far have all been machine related. I love this old machine but have spent every bit as much time adjusting it as sewing with it. Its a Singer 111W155 which is completely up to the workload but has issues tracking over areas with muliple layers 1/4" thinck or so. I have a few spots where the stitches stack up on each side of such places.

As I mentioned, a new machine is in order but this jacket is already well along and as imperfect as the "sewist" so I want to finish with this machine. I will then have earned the new one!

Dave

deand

You never cease to amaze! It's like you are simply willing this jacket into existence! God bless your work!

dean

dmar836

Well, I am figuring out why "good" repros are so expensive - it's because they are so high in cost. Kudos to those who persevere to the point of repeatability!
This zip shortening was inevitable but wasn't particularly difficult. I am; however, on the edge of an imposing cliff. Setting this zipper, the waste knit, and the lining is all quite daunting. Loose focus once and you could be left with a figure-eight tube puzzle that cannot be turned!

dmar836

So I skipped a few pics. At this point I have to do the top stitching to define the shape(and fit) and then finish the hardware. I dare not stitch such a visible line now as the machine began fighting me hard today. The last "internal" stitch before turning was torture and had a few errors as I was doing my thing AND half of what the machine should be trusted to do.

I am changing my game plan so as not to be gutted this far in. I broke down today and ordered a new machine. When it arrives I'll do a few practice runs and then finish the jacket with that machine.

Looking fair for an amateur I'll say.

Corky

The Ambitious A-2 Project is looking great!

I have been making things out of leather since I was about ten years old, and I am absolutely in awe of what you have done on this project.

My sincere congratulations on your work.

dmar836

Why didn't someone tell me I forgot to topstitch the lining's collar stand!? Heads will roll! Oh well, too late now. the rest of the collar stand looks pretty bad too as my stitching would fall on and off the narrow seam allowance. Looks okay on the leather side but pretty jankety on the liner. Maybe I should add mouton to mask it.
Couldn't stand it and just readjusted the Singer this eve and finished the stitching - not horrible but certainly no GW!
Still have to add the hook, hangar, and the male collar snaps otherwise I'm wearing it right now. Smells good!
Dave