• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha MA-1 VF59 vs Alpha MA-1 ?

simmo

Looking at Alpha MA-1 's and seems there is a VF59 version and a normal version.Looks like the knits are slightly different on the VF59 version plus it looks like it has a vintage style label and brown leather style zip pull from what i can see in pics.Anyone know anything more about the VF59 version and is it anygood ?

Tim P

looks slim in the body and the knits are ribbed unlike mil spec knit. I am sure it is well made and comfortable but it has no particular authentic vintage appeal.

RCSignals

i don't know a lot about genuine MA1s but i have an Alpha 1959 repro and think it isn't too bad. It is lined as originals with wool/cotton and the inside lining is green nylon. The storm flap is wrong and doesn't go right to the top but they may have done that for comfort (although not expected on a reproduction). The outer shell is a sturdy and mostly waterproof nylon, not thin as many no military MA1s. The knits are soft too soft IMO and the jacket is ironically made in Vietnam

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
i don't know a lot about genuine MA1s but i have an Alpha 1959 repro and think it isn't too bad. It is lined as originals with wool/cotton and the inside lining is green nylon. The storm flap is wrong and doesn't go right to the top but they may have done that for comfort (although not expected on a reproduction) ...

So this would be the Dobbs Industries contract? Alpha not being awarded an MA-1 contract in their own name until 1963. The lower wind flap, with the rounded top is correct for the Dobbs.

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
i don't know a lot about genuine MA1s but i have an Alpha 1959 repro and think it isn't too bad. It is lined as originals with wool/cotton and the inside lining is green nylon. The storm flap is wrong and doesn't go right to the top but they may have done that for comfort (although not expected on a reproduction) ...

So this would be the Dobbs Industries contract? Alpha not being awarded an MA-1 contract in their own name until 1963. The lower wind flap, with the rounded top is correct for the Dobbs.

Thanks for that info on the windflap. The jacket of course has no labelling indicating dobbs Industries but you may well be right in that is what they have tried to duplicate.
Alpha likes to push the 1959 lineage as if they made the jackets since then. I'm not even sure they (Alpha Industries) actually existed in 1959.