• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha L-2B Reproduction

Maverickson

Hi,

While surfing through EBAY I came across this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-INDUSTRIES-L- ... 9bff1cd848 . Just wondering if there has been any takers from a Forum member?

This jacket is new to me as I have not run into one for resale! Maybe something to consider.

ARMYFashions-1.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Atticus

I've never seen one in person, but the photos sure look good. Except for the zipper and the silly sleeve tag, it looks closer to an original than do some of those skinny-cut, way expensive, far-east jackets. So maybe clip off the tag, put on a different zipper pull, sew on a vintage squadron patch...

I've always thought, with just a tiny bit more effort, Alpha could rival the overpriced Japanese makers in quality and authenticity...and still sell their jackets for a price that normal people could afford.

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I've always thought, with just a tiny bit more effort, Alpha could rival the overpriced Japanese makers in quality and authenticity...and still sell their jackets for a price that normal people could afford.

AF

I couldn't agree more, Geoff, particularly in light of the fact that Dobbs/Alpha was arguably the most prolific maker of regulation flight jackets for many years. However, to me it seems that Alpha should actually put forth less effort towards bollixing the original specs and go back to what they've known how to do all along.

usafwso

Hasn't Alpha exported all their manufacturing to China for their civilian jackets? Frankly, most people except jacket fanatics would not be able to tell the difference between an original, a Buzz and one of those cheap imports.

Atticus

Actually, upon closer inspection of the photo, even the zipper looks OK. Clearly, it isn't the brass "Alpha" zipper shown in the other photo.

So...if you carefully remove the sleeve tag and then apply a cool fifties-era patch...seems to me you'd have a pretty decent wearer.

AF

Maverickson

Atticus said:
Actually, upon closer inspection of the photo, even the zipper looks OK. Clearly, it isn't the brass "Alpha" zipper shown in the other photo.

So...if you carefully remove the sleeve tag and then apply a cool fifties-era patch...seems to me you'd have a pretty decent wearer.

AF

Hi AF,

The Blue http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-INDUSTRIES-L- ... 9bff1cd869 one even looks better than the sage!

ArmyFashionsBlue.jpg

Now they really got me thinking.

Cheers, Dave

deand

I am so glad someone finally brought up these jackets. the big photo does look good, but I've seen them coupled with smaller detail photographs, zipper, and such, on ebay and it doesn't even look like they were of the same jacket. I would hate to go for it, some would say under any circumstances, not to, and then find out how different what I would get would be from the large photo.

dean

Atticus

deand said:
I am so glad someone finally brought up these jackets. the big photo does look good, but I've seen them coupled with smaller detail photographs, zipper, and such, on ebay and it doesn't even look like they were of the same jacket. I would hate to go for it, some would say under any circumstances, not to, and then find out how different what I would get would be from the large photo.
dean
I know what you're saying. If I was going to spend over a hundred bucks, I would want to either see one of these jackets myself or read an endorsement by a forum member who has handled one.

Its probably a moot issue for me anyhow. I've never been crazy about repros of any kind and storage space now dictates that I sell some jackets before I buy another.

AF

SuinBruin

I picked up one of the Alpha L-2As last month. It's a decent jacket, though a bit short on me. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

watchmanjimg

SuinBruin said:
I picked up one of the Alpha L-2As last month. It's a decent jacket, though a bit short on me. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

Did you get the Replica model as shown here, or the other type (Vintage)? I had a Vintage L-2A and wasn't terribly impressed with the fit. The body length was definitely an issue. Once I removed the silly sleeve tag the overall quality was perhaps superior to Alpha's standard civilian L-2B offering, but again the fit killed it for me.

tgd31968

watchmanjimg said:
SuinBruin said:

Did you get the Replica model as shown here, or the other type (Vintage)? I had a Vintage L-2A and wasn't terribly impressed with the fit. The body length was definitely an issue. Once I removed the silly sleeve tag the overall quality was perhaps superior to Alpha's standard civilian L-2B offering, but again the fit killed it for me.

Too short or too long? I have an older Alpha ma-1 and hate that I feel like tugging it down all the time.

SuinBruin

watchmanjimg said:
SuinBruin said:

It's the replica version. I bought and returned one of the "vintage" models a year or so ago -- it was way too short on me (a medium, if I remember) and overall didn't impress. The "replica" version is superior, but as I've never owned any genuine (or high end repro) nylon I can't really speak to its authenticity. My wife doesn't care for it, but I told her if it was good enough for Buzz Aldrin in Korea, it's good enough for me. :D

Now I just need to get my hands on an F-86 and I'll be set....

cheers
matt

watchmanjimg

Matt:

I had the Vintage and it was very short and generally on the skimpy side for a Large. Nothing I'd bother with again.

Atticus

I noticed a size chart on the link that Dave posted. According to it, if I were to buy one, I should buy at least a size XXL. My original L-2Bs are XL. So I'm guessing that these jackets are even more skimpy than the originals.

AF

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
I'm guessing that these jackets are even more skimpy than the originals.
Dunno how Alpha size these things. I owned a replica B-15D mod. It was meant to be a 38 but it was fucking huge. More like a 42.

watchmanjimg

If I had to compare the Vintage L-2A to an original I'd say it fit like a '68 L-2B (whether produced by Alpha or Skyline), which for me is too short to wear comfortably with street clothes. I also felt that the Vintage L-2A in Large fit more like an original Medium, which is consistent with Geoff's earlier remarks as to size. This is completely incorrect as compared to the original L-2A, which in my experience does not run skimpy. My size 40 original Superior Togs fits me better than most Large L-2Bs I've owned, and the Reed L-2 better still due to its longer body.

For the money the Vintage L-2A offers acceptable quality, but only if one is fortunate enough to find an example that fits. Clearly the indicated size is not reliable.