• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha Industries flight jackets - OK, I'm lost.....

Ian C

Hiya,

I ended up buying a 68 pattern MA1 in XXL and then bought an XL when this was too big. I did have a genuine D spec MA1 but this was too short and fortunately the new replicas run longer and the XL is spot on.
Minor criticisms are the tag on the sleeve which is easy to remove by snipping the outside and pulling the remains through the inside of the cig pocket. The annoying A symbol embroidered on the windflap which I can't do anything about and the fact that it's a slightly lighter green but maybe I'm being picky.
On the plus side it fits, has a proper wool lining and is bloody warm when an A2 just isn't enough. Its also far cheaper than Buzz Ricksons MA1 which although probably better wouldn't fit me either.
I'm putting the XXL up for sale as it's too big for me whereas the polyester lined XXL was about right (never been worn, tags etc if anyone is interested?)
However if in the meantime you are wondering about sizings at the upper end of the scale I would be happy to send you the dimensions of both if it helps?
Regards,
Ian

Monsoon

I was thinking about their L-2B in case a Buzz Rickson doesn't fall into my lap.

From their website, I think I'd need an XL, which is about right; in standard CWU jackets, I take an XL. The Large is just a bit too snug in the shoulders.

deand

I bought an MA-1 Replica from Alpha and ended up changing out the knits to a more accurate type. I suspect the Replica jackets are a bit longer and narrower than issued MA-1s. I also added an oxygen mask tab from MASH Japan to the jacket. The grey version I bought is just that, grey, not a 'sage grey'. I like mine, it's warm and pretty vintage looking, at a glance.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Monsoon said:
Here on VLJ, I've read, "Only buy the vintage" or "Only by the Replica".

Needless to say, I'm still confused.

Most of this advice on VLJ refers to the 'old' Made in USA, Vintage, and Replica series. Alpha haven't sold them for years, but they were sometimes available on eBay.

Their sizing was different, and I don't know how they compare to current Alpha nylon. With the numerically sized Replica series, for example, they ran about one size large.

A

Anonymous

Their Chinese M-65 is total crap.

I bought their made in USA MA-1 in late 80s early 90s.
How that compares to issued? anyone knows?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
I bought their made in USA MA-1 in late 80s early 90s.
How that compares to issued? anyone knows?

If you bought their regular poly fibre filled version ... not very closely.

Ian C

I've got photos of some of the new replica 68's if anyone wants them? I'd say the quality is good but I'd still rather have an original. Unfortunately I can't get an original wool lined one to fit me lengthwise so this is the best I can do.
These state that they are made in China but quality inspected in the USA, not sure if this is usual procedure.
I could have got the current USA made MA1 but I wanted one with slash pockets and a wool lining so it's all about compromise. As mentioned earlier they do run longer and a bit closer fitting. Ideally I'd get the XXL altered to get a baggier fit but I can't make my mind up if it's too big or not.
Ian

Monsoon

Thanks for the info, everyone. Like some have said, I'm trying to get an idea of the fit and quality of their current lineup. I might just bite the bullet and order one; seems like they have a nice return policy.