• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha Industries CWU 45 questions

Peter Graham

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I can't really give you any advice on the jacket but I've been riding motorcycles for over thirty years and I've slid down the road on many occasions. My best advice is to buy the best proper motorcycle jacket that you can afford, preferably one with built in body armour. My old Furygan jacket saved my skin many times. The jacket in your link looks very much like a fashion jacket and the cuffs and waistband will not fare well in a crash, nor will they protect you. I'd wager that the hide is none too strong either but maybe others can help with that question. Hope this helps.

havocpaul

Welcome to the forum. I agree with all that Peter says. I picked up (for a £5 note in a charity shop!) a similar Alpha leather jacket and there is no way it should ever be considered for riding. The leather is soft and thin so wouldn't have any of the strength of horsehide or heavy steerhide. They are just fashion jackets and for that price you can surely pick up something more suitable and with more character too. Good luck with your search.

A

Anonymous

The guy said he wants the jacket for riding a motorcycle, not for falling off a motorcycle. For falling he may get the body armor that you very reasonably suggest, but this jacket looks OK for riding (provided he will not fall).

From looking at the photos the thickness of the hide looks like 3oz about 1.1mm thickness and the jacket looks like it's made in Pakistan. Alpha makes its cotton jackets in China, so could be Chinese as well.

Peter Graham

0351marine said:
I am trying to find out just how thick the leather is and will it provide decent protection from road rash.

Platon, what does the above say ? I guess you've never had a motorcycle then. Nobody plans to fall off. It happens by accident, usually caused by a car driver. Very silly post.

MikeyB-17

PLATON said:
The guy said he wants the jacket for riding a motorcycle, not for falling off a motorcycle.

If you're gonna do one, you need to be prepared for the other. As a biker and an ambulanceman, you would not catch me on my bike without proper protection, much as I would love to roar away like James Dean on his Harley wearing nothing but Levis, engineer boots and a t-shirt. I could tell you some horror stories about the injuries people have done to themselves by ignoring this. Decent armoured bike gear needn't cost a fortune, although obviously the better quality stuff you can afford, the better. Alpha make some decent jackets, but that one is not going to be any use if you come off. There are way better jackets out there for biking, and as Paul says, cooler ones too.

better duck

MikeyB-17 said:
PLATON said:
The guy said he wants the jacket for riding a motorcycle, not for falling off a motorcycle.

If you're gonna do one, you need to be prepared for the other. As a biker and an ambulanceman, you would not catch me on my bike without proper protection, (....) Decent armoured bike gear needn't cost a fortune, although obviously the better quality stuff you can afford, the better.
Having ridden motor bikes for over 200,000 miles, I totally agree with Mikey's post!