• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha CWU 45/P repro review

capt71

I know Alpha Industries jackets have been discussed here a lot, but I just wanted to put in a couple of cents worth.

I have always liked the CWU 45/P and its styling a lot, and have wanted to acquire one. Having looked at the offerings on ebay and around the internet, I finally decided to go for an Alpha, repro CWU 45/P. I found an online store (not Alpha's) where many Alpha repros are offered, and the price was right for me. I just received the jacket today.

First, let me say that I am not a collector and my priority was never to exclusively possess a vintage military issue CWU 45--a nice repro at a decent price would suit me just fine. The jacket I chose was the "Replica Blue" (gunmetal, repro gray, black, and sage green were also offered). I am very pleased with my choice. The shell and interlining are of nylon, of course, with polyester fiber-fill insulation. The nylon material and stitching appear well done and sturdy. Two of the pencil pockets on the sleeve even have small plastic pen-point cap "protectors" in them. The zipper is not extremely smooth-running, but I can live with that (I think a little "lube" will help it). I had read that the Alphas fit a little on the small side, so since I normally take a "Large", I ordered "XL" and it fits perfectly (a "large" would have been too small for me). Therefore, if ordering a CWU 45 from Alpha, I'd recommend choosing at least one size up from what you normally wear ( I can't speak for their other type jackets).

In short, I'm very pleased with it. Of course, if, in the first rain it falls apart, I may change my mind :cool:

the photo shows the blue lighter than it actually is (it's about the same as the velcro patch).
6290037778_159257a94f_z.jpg

Jason

I like that, it looks like a natural progression on from a B15-c. The CWU series are very easy to wear, and are a great everyday wearer.

Atticus

And if your house catches afire while you're watching TV or whatever, there's no rush to leave. As long as you're in your CWU you can sit back, crack open a beer and watch another inning of the game...while you're waiting for the fire crew to arrive.

AF

capt71

Atticus said:
And if your house catches afire while you're watching TV or whatever, there's no rush to leave. As long as you're in your CWU you can sit back, crack open a beer and watch another inning of the game...while you're waiting for the fire crew to arrive. AF
Unfortunately, they'd have to peel the melted nylon off my charred body and broiled beer can, since the material on this repro is nylon fabric, not nomex.