• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aleutian boots

MikeyB-17

I love this pic, which we’ve seen before, but what sort of boots is he wearing? Are they issue or private purchase? I’ve seen other pics of guys wearing similar ones, but never been able to find out what they are-I fancy something similar.
CE425EE7-A9D1-49A6-A383-5791D4504DB5.jpeg

falcon_ib

They look like WW2 paratrooper jump boots. Issued to paratroopers and rangers/FSSF but they were very stylish and significantly more comfortable than the footwear available to regular army troops. Many troops did their best to beg/borrow/steal them!

Steve27752

They look like WW2 paratrooper jump boots. Issued to paratroopers and rangers/FSSF but they were very stylish and significantly more comfortable than the footwear available to regular army troops. Many troops did their best to beg/borrow/steal them!
Look like but not Para boots, this pair do not have toe caps.

falcon_ib

That's what I saw at first too, but it looks like toe caps might be hiding under dirt or mud. Hard to see, but if they're not there, then probably some private purchase boots.
Love the jacket and their caps as well.

Steve27752

That's what I saw at first too, but it looks like toe caps might be hiding under dirt or mud. Hard to see, but if they're not there, then probably some private purchase boots.
Love the jacket and their caps as well.
Nope, no toe caps.

MikeyB-17

I thought they might be jump boots, but I don't think they've got toe caps either, and the toes look narrower. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's puzzled by them.

jack31916

These boots are most likely Boots, Blucher, High Top (Stock No. 72-B-128-8 - 72-B-133-18.

Boots are listed on page 3 of the Quartermaster Supply Catalog , Section 1, Enlisted Men's Clothing and Equipment, Revised August 1943 and described as: A boot, 12 inch in height, constructed in such manner as to be more waterproof than other types of leather footwear. It is intended for wet, cold areas.

These boots are also pictured in the book G.I. Collector's Guide by Henri-Paul Enjames on page 60 and described as: High boots in greased leather, smooth leather sole, laced through eyelets on the uppers and hooks on the shaft. These (boots) were first authorized for Alaskan stations, then to troops operating in the Aleutians in 1943, but proved inadequate.However, due to the shortage of cold weather footwear in NW Europe at the beginning of 1945, Blucher boots were issued in some quantity at this time.

MikeyB-17

It would make sense, wouldn’t it? Mmm, I dunno though. All the pics of Blucher boots I’ve found show a straight seam running from the heel to just below the lowest lace hole, and speed lace hooks, neither of which this chap’s boots have.
It’s a great pic isn’t it, it’s been posted here before, I love that B-7. And the gloves. I bet looking cool was the last thing on his mind, just wanted to stop freezing his arse off and go home.