• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AL-1 Flight jacket

Peter Graham

Can anyone provide more info on this jacket. With the high start price I didn't feel like bidding without knowing a bit more. What I really want to know is the era. The design and fittings suggest that it's WW2. Can anyone confirm this ? If it's listed again with a lower start I might have a crack at it. It's a great looking jacket.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=010

MikeyB-17

dadgad said:
Nice Jacket, 55J15..should have been issued in the same period of the first G-1.

Yeah that would be my guess as well-I'm also intrigued by these jackets-I never knew they existed until I got my copy of 'Suit Up!'. The one in there is a 55J13 by Aviators Clothing Co.-only one digit away from the 55J14 G-1, so I reckon late 40's/early 50's as well.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Full Gear lists the contracts (1948-1952), with the eBay example being 1950.

Issued with the WL-1 Flight Trousers, and the fur trimmed, AW-1 Flight Hood ... they made quite an outfit.

hacker

deeb7 said:
Full Gear lists the contracts (1948-1952), with the eBay example being 1950.

Issued with the WL-1 Flight Trousers, and the fur trimmed, AW-1 Flight Hood ... they made quite an outfit.

I have seen a few of those jackets run time and again, but never a photo of a flight crew member wearing one. Looks like something you might wear hanging off the fantale in the North Atlantic though!......That fur trimmed hood sounds like a nice piece to have come winter!

Sid Vintage

One of the rarest of all the old jackets. The few I have found over the years have always been trashed for some reason.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I've just agreed to buy one, with collection tomorrow.

The hood is labelled Willis & Geiger, Contract No. N-383-25981. I don't imagine that it's in the best condition ... but it will do as an example for the archives.