• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero VS Period Jacket vs M-422A Comparison

fishmeok

Thought this might be interesting to some of you. This is a vsiual comparison of the fit between these three jackets. The Aero is a modified Bootlegger (thanks Jack!!), the gaberdine jacket is an original circa 1947 and the M-422A is an original. The Aero is marked a 42 and the others are not tagged, but I'm 6' 35/36 shirt sleeve size so I am confident they are 46's. The most interesting thing to me is the pit to pit spread:
M-422A: 23', Gab half belt: 24", Aero: 26"

Cheers
Mark

CompDown987.jpg

CompDown996.jpg

CompDown988.jpg

CompDown995.jpg

CompDown990.jpg

CompDown993.jpg
[/quote]

CompDown1002.jpg

CompDown1001.jpg

CompDown1003.jpg

zoomer

That system of labeling the size as the garment measurement (no allowances) is certainly Navy.

I'm interested how the waist measures - how much of a "drop" there was on the '422.

DiamondDave

AMAZING! The fact that, from the front, the Half Belt doesn't look too bad, but from the back WOOOOW!! That thing is huge!!

I understand that you said this is a 42??? Seems that the pattern has gotten larger over time, or something. I know that they try to account for the "Modern Man" thing, but Jeesh, this seems bit much.

Love the Gab jacket, what a great look... of course the 422 is absolutely gorgeous, even if it is a Navy Jacket.

DD

johnwayne

Wow Mark - 3 super jackets you have there. Can't help thinking the Aero looks like a leather, (modified) M41 field jacket!
I keep saying I dont need any more jackets then see something like that and think, well maybe!!
Thanks for showing them
Cheers
Wayne

jack aranda

The Aero is mine, on loan to Mark for a project. What you see is an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, the result of creating a hybrid from several jacket patterns. This jacket has a Bootlegger front and side panel, and a G-1 bi-swing back panel. Mark correctly diagnosed the source of the 'flying squirrel' effect: the bi-swing back creates more room to move, so the side panel could have been reduced in width accordingly. It does not look like that was done.

I don't fault Aero; they built what I asked for in the proper size. I did not consider the changes to the side panel dimensions when I ordered, but, as is evident here, it makes a difference. The jacket feels right when worn, not at all like it is hanging off of me, but definitely not a trim, close-fitting garment.

If this jacket was a movie, it'd be called "A Bridge Too Far".