AERO repros: Curvy wind flap at top of zipper...?

Discussion in 'Repros' started by ties70, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ties70

ties70 Well-Known Member

Hi,

the link to AERO's website in another thread showed the following picture:

[​IMG]

Seeing the jacket zipped up and with buttoned downed collar reminded me of my own AERO RD. It shows the same kind of curvy windflap in the throat area, which makes it uncomfortable to wear the jacket with the collar buttoned...It can't be a problem with the collar stand as this phenomenon comes up on ´40 and ´42 jackets with different collar constructions. The curve only occurs when the jacket is buttoned, just as if the position of the buttons restricts the zipping of the jacket. ...Or is the windflap a little bit too long?

Is this a typical pattern feature for the AERO contracts (the picture showing a 1940 contract while I have the later 15142 RD) or some kind of repro fault?

Ties

2. deeb7

deeb7 New Member

Maybe the zipper is misaligned ... obviously something's amiss, and I can't imagine that originals looked like that.

Here's a stolen picture of a Good Wear Aero, for comparison.

[​IMG]

3. PENSACOLA CVT-16

PENSACOLA CVT-16 Member

Or...possibly an advertising aspect in terms of showing the zipper (purposely pulling top flap away), since it's an "original" as stated in the Aero A-2 description.

4. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

5. duke

duke New Member

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whatever causes it- I like it! This is the kinda weird thing that would happen on an original jacket. Not perfect= good!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Ties,

I've owned 7 Aeros (including 2 1940 contracts), and none of them exhibited that feature. I don't know what's going on with that particular jacket you noted.

8. ties70

ties70 Well-Known Member

Hi Pedro and Jeff,

Here are two pics of my AERO RD.

Shows the same curve as the jacket from the AERO website.

@ Jeff: Well, if you see this as an interesting mistake that adds to the authenticity of the jacket: AERO seems to be able to reproduce this at will...no matter what contract ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Ties

9. fishmeok

fishmeok Member

Looks to me like the windflap is too long. I bet if you remove the stitches it will stick out above the bottom of the collar about 1/4-1/2 inch. So take some pics for us when you do that.... :)
    Cheers
    Mark

10. deeb7

deeb7 New Member

... and the collar snaps are incorrectly positioned.

11. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Indeed... Not that i'm complaining but that looks a lot more wrinkly and darker than my recent purchase. I wonder if it's the same leather or an newer type John's managed to get?

12. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

Same stuff.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member