• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero leather A2 order

Hi!

I’ve not posted much on this forum, but i read a lot, and the knowledge of the members here are truly amazing! So im hoping for a few inputs regarding my coming Aero A2 order.

First of all, i did actually order the style 18775 with Seal brown and red knits, wich is a combination i like and basically why Aero was my final choice. But after some information i learned afterwards, it was really the style 15142 that was famous for this colour combination?

So i just thinking, should i change the style to 15142 instead before the work on the jacket begins? Is this style more accurate regards the colours maybe? There was no difference in the fit when asking customer service. Anyone here that has both styles maybe?

And the most important, the fit! Im 6’1 , so i guess i need to add som extra length on the jacket. But when measuring my other jackets flat on the floor, the back length on these jackets did vary from 23 inches to 26 inches. I was not aware of the difference in length. Not something i have noticed when wearing them really.

I did end up ordering 26 inch sleeve length and 26,75 inches back length. Does this sounds ok for someone at 6’1 for this style? Anyone at the same height that has the same length? This is my first a2 ever by the way.

Thanks

Kermit3D

Hi there.
For comparison, I have an A-2 Dubow Bill Kelso with the following dimensions:
- Shoulder to shoulder : 45.5 cm / 17.9"
- Armpit to armpit : 56 cm / 22"
- Sleeves : 66 cm / 26"
- Back length : 62 cm / 24.4"

I am 6 feet, 2 inches / 188 cm tall, for 168 pounds / 76 kg.

26.75 inches for the back length of your A-2 Aero ? sounds like a lot. It's longer than the sleeve length, which shouldn't be the case in the A-2 pattern.

Hi!

I agree with the back length sounds long. Customer service at aero suggested 27 back length with my height. Thats why i was very unsure. I was thinking 26, wich is the same as my leather bomber jacket. But after they suggested 27 im really unsure about this.

Kermit3D

My jacket is rather short for a size 42, but that's what I like. Funny thing is, my A-2 is supposed to be a "long" 42 (extra length in the body and sleeves). Bill Kelso is known for making some pretty short jackets.

Aero suggests 27 inches for the back length, which seems really too long to me...
Let's see what other forum members think.

What's the size on the label of the jacket you ordered ?

I agree with you. Thats why i sized down a bit from 27, but still i have concerns that it will be to long still. I have a Schott perfecto 519 wich have 26 back length, and it fits me perfect i will say ( for my taste). It covers nicely the belt and sits where i like it. 27 on that jacket would look ridicolous, but i dont know how an A2 is in comparison.

I think 26 will be ok based on that and another sheepskin bomber (Schott 257s) i have wich is also 26.

My size for the jacket is 38 wich was suggested. I have 37 inch cest.

Thanks

Kermit3D

An A-2 in size 38 that's 27 inches long, with 26-inch sleeves?
That seems MUCH too long.
You're 6'1" and wear a size 38?
That sounds small...

Lots of strange things here.

Well, i sent all my measurements to Aero and this is what i was suggested :)

Im a tall and slim guy, at 37 chest, and this jacket has a bit relaxed fit as well, then 38 is fine i think. I usually wear medium in basically all EU sizes.

Kermit3D

We have a very similar body shape.
Here's how my A-2 fits.

DSC_0436.jpg

In my humble opinion, you need a size 40, with dimensions close to :
- Shoulder to shoulder : 17.5"
- Armpit to armpit : 21"
- Sleeves : 26"
- Back length : 25"

We have a very similar body shape.
Here's how my A-2 fits.

View attachment 135049

In my humble opinion, you need a size 40, with dimensions close to :
- Shoulder to shoulder : 17.5"
- Armpit to armpit : 21"
- Sleeves : 26"
- Back length : 25"
Thats the fit im looking for! Perfect!

I was also thinking size 40 at first. But after sending my measurements to Aero and their suggestions i was unsure.

They suggested: 27 back length, 25,5 sleeve and size 38.

Kermit3D

If you're really looking for historical accuracy in the overall shape of your A-2, you're going to have to find some compromises.
In my opinion, if you add 3 inches to a "standard" size, you run the risk of departing from the A-2's "classic" pattern.
Again, this is just my opinion, but an accurate A-2 in size 38 can't have a back length of 27 inches.

If you're not too worried about historical accuracy, then yes it should work.

I agree with you. I just contacted Aero about this and try to get it right before they start on my jacket. I want as much accuracy as possible, but im not an expert on a2’s, so i dont know every stitching or details on the different contracts. But the fit and the colours should be correct at least i think.

daw

I'm 6'1". I've owned 5 different A2 jackets. I'm bigger than you, I take a 46 or 48" chest. My jackets have ranged from 25" to 28" in the back. The best fit for me is in my two GW jackets, each of which is 26.5" in the back. 25" is too short and 28" too long, in my opinion. Sleeves of 26.5" on both of the GW jackets fit me well.

Brettafett

Where are you based? If in Europe, could you not request a 'test' jacket? A regular size jacket that can be tried for fit and returned?
May be worth asking (and an opportunity to get some leather samples)
May cost you a bit extra I return postage, but in the long run would help you nail the fit.
If you roll the dice and the jacket doesn't fit, this is going to be a VERY tricky jacket to sell on...

I've owned 3 Aero A-2s in the past, incl one 15142
I had a size 40 with length added to the sleeves and back. Have a 40" chest.
The jacket fit well overall, but sold it on. Im not sure if the pattern has changed since then.

The 15142 may be a more forgiving pattern in the body, but it doesn't have big, wide armholes.

I would agree with all @Kermit3D 's assessment above, maybe even get an extra 0.5" to the sleeves (26.5" sleeves)
(Over time, the sleeve length may appear to shorten a touch, due to wear. Creases form at the pits and elbow...)

Thanks for the advice! Thats a great suggestion. I agree. On my Eastman B3 i did try a jacket 40, and sent it back for a size 42. Even size 40 was to tight, short and general discomfort to wear. Size 42 was perfect and easy to move around. Im glad i did not added length to a size 38 or 40 from the start.. So i hear you. You guys have maybe saved me from a jacket with wrong fit.

Southoftheborder

I ordered a 15142P in seal red knits over fifteen years ago under the old management. I remember Amanda who was there then told me it was a slimmer fitting jacket but the overall size was similar to the others. But I found it impossible to wear since the arm holes were very high and I looked like a chimp with my arms stuck out. It was also pretty slim fitting. It went back.

I just looked at their description of it on the site now and unless they changed the pattern a lot I don't recognise it at all.

I've had an Aero Bronco for a good few years and although I hardly ever wear it now it does fit me much better with wider lower arm holes.